Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #31
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
I've tried reading this, and am a bit confused. I am on 3.1 currently, but would like to prevent further updates. I have the 0.6N hack installed - will that prevent updates being 'pushed'? If not how do I do so?
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Won't prevent them from being pushed, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
* Alternatively, you can also drop a blank ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES file in the root of your Kindle, like with yifanlu's jailbreak. (As a side-effect, this will make official updates *fail*).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #33
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Sorry, I might have used the wrong word - by 'pushed' I meant forced on me. Preventing Amazon updates will be a good idea. You guys were really quick in dealing with the last (quite tricksy by the look of things) update - but who knows what amazon are going to do in the future.

Your ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES file idea looks great. You mean a bin file I presume? (I can just create them using gedit, but I want to make sure I get it right).
Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #34
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, just a blank file.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #35
greyTraveler
Enthusiast
greyTraveler began at the beginning.

I think that this is a summary of how to prevent updates for all cases (as of 9/21/2011):

First, do not mix jail breaks -- only use one, be it NiLuJe's, yifanlu's, or any other one you find. Also, only use the updates provider hack with jail breaks that are stated to work with it. Any other combination may cause problems.

NiLuJe jail breaks up to and including 0.4
These jail breaks work for Kindle OS <= 3.03
If you have one of them installed, you should use the updates provider hack

NiLuJe jail breaks 0.5 to 0.7
These jail breaks work on Kindle OS <= 3.2
If you have one of them installed, place an empty file named ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES in the root directory. Do not use the updates provider hack.

NiLuJe jail breaks 0.8 to 0.10
These jail breaks work on Kindle OS <= 3.3
If you have one of them installed, place an empty file named ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES in the root directory. Do not use the updates provider hack.

yifanlu jail breaks 0.1 to 0.3 -- don't use these

yifanlu jail break 0.4 (only use if 0.5 does not work for you).
works for Kindle OS <= 3.2
Automatically chooses the appropriate type of update. Use the updates provider hack to block Amazon updates.

yifanlu jail break 0.51
works for Kindle OS <= 3.3 (may need jail break 0.4 before 3.2.1)
Automatically chooses the appropriate type of update. Use the updates provider hack to block Amazon updates.

NiLuJe and yifanlu: is this correct?

Last edited by greyTraveler; 10-19-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Update OS version information for newest jailbreaks
greyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #36
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@greyTraveler: That sounds about right, yes .
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #37
Tanga
Zealot

That is really helpful GT - they should put that in the opening post I think. I have put a black text file called ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES in my root folder - so hopefully I'm safe =).
Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #38
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyTraveler View Post
Place an empty file named ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES in the root directory
NiLuJe and yifanlu: is this correct?
Am I correct to understand this is the root directory of the USB drive you get when you plug your Kindle in? So if your Kindle pops up as say G:\ the path of the file should be:
G:\ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES

Thanks for the feedback.
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #39
greyTraveler
Enthusiast

@zapt0:

You've got it exactly right!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #40
Radish.
Radish. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + Wifi (US)
Unhappy 3.1 Screen Saver Hack Not Working for me

Hello Friends,

I am new to the forum and have joined because I am a little perplexed at this late (or early) hour. I followed these very simple instructions to the T and yet my screen savers are still not showing face.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...een_Saver_Hack

I have also attached an image of what my kindle 3G + Wifi (US) file structure looks like after the jailbreak and screensaver hack install of version "update_jailbreak_0.7.N_k3g_install.bin" and "update_jailbreak_0.7.N_k3g_install.bin" Each little grey arrow on the left that is pointing down is an open folder (many of which are empty). I have 11 JPEG's in my screensaver folder but chose not to open it due to lack of space for the screen shot attached.

Prior to following the directions on the link above, I did not have any jailbreak or hack on the Kindle, just some .epub coverted to .mobi books

I appreciate any feedback and help I can get as I would absolutely love to see some fun pictures on the screen. PS - I am using a MAC (OS X 10.6.7)
Radish. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Radish.: You're not exactly in the right thread, but, still, I'll need more details than 'not working' to help you .

I'm assuming the update process themselves were successful? What do you mean by 'not working'? Do you see the placeholder custom screensaver, a blank screen, or the defult screensavers? Did you restart your Kindle after adding/switching screensavers?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #42
Radish.

Thank you, NiLuJe, I apologize for not being in the right thread!

I am confused because you are saying "updates" but I actually had no previous hack to update. I installed those zips in my Kindle for the first time and followed the directions carefully. I performed an "Update your Kindle" after installing the jailbreak and then added the linkss folder and installed the screen saver hack k3g. I performed another "update kindle" after saving images to my screensaver folder and each update came back as successful. The "Not Working" comes from the idea that I followed the directions yet am still seeing the default screensavers.

Thank you for your help! I noticed it's your wizardry and I am stoked to get help from the creator himself!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #43
greyTraveler
Enthusiast

@Radish

This particular hack is in addition to the screen-savers or font hacks; it lets you control if updates will be from hacks you install, or from Amazon. So it's for future updates, not past ones.

It isn't necessary for using the other hacks or jail breaks; it's mostly for people (like me) paranoid about Amazon updates happening w/o out our control.

greyTraveler
Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Radish.: Yeah, I'm referring to the 'Update Your Kindle' link when I say 'update process'.

So, let's try again, slowly, in order:

* Delete your linkss/screensavers directory.
* (Re)Install the screensavers hack (use the appropriate update_ss_*_install.bin file for your Kindle model).
* Restart ([Home] > [Menu] > Settings > [Menu] > Restart) your Kindle.
* Once the Kindle has finished rebooting, put it to sleep. You should see the custom placeholder screensaver.
* If you do see it, you can put your custom screensavers in the linkss/screensavers directory, and then Restart your Kindle to take that into account. If you still see the default screensavers, something went wrong with the install process, or you're using a KSO Kindle, in which case there's nothing I can do for you .
Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #45
Radish.

Damn! I knew I should have taken my computer. I am on a plane to Ft. Lauderdale at the moment and don't have all the files with. I'll be back next Monday and will reattempt immediately! Do I need to run the uninstall first? What is a KSO kindle?? Thanks!!!