Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #46
hama
hama began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Some have said it's not great for viewing PDFs. Have you tried using a general PDF viewer instead of an ebook reader app?
Thank you.
from what I've been told by the library, this is the only opportunity to read their free books with DRM
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
That's disappointing. It's irrelevant to your issue, but the new Sony Readers handle Adobe DRMed PDFs well.

Last edited by SCION; 01-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #48
hama
hama began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
That's disappointing. It's irrelevant to your issue, but the new Sony Readers handle Adobe DRMed PDFs well.
Yes, but I have the Galaxy Tab, and need to use this :-) :-)
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #49
minhtruong
minhtruong began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Quote:
Now you can get the latest version of Aldiko for free. Supports Adobe DRM now. Does not support B&N DRM.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/aldiko-b...aldiko.android
Actually, Aldiko 2.0 can read ebooks from Barnes and Noble. Ebooks from Barnes and Noble are protected by password-based DRM, you just need to enter the user name and passwords.
minhtruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #50
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtruong View Post
Actually, Aldiko 2.0 can read ebooks from Barnes and Noble. Ebooks from Barnes and Noble are protected by password-based DRM, you just need to enter the user name and passwords.
The statement was revised in later posts in this thread.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #51
minhtruong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
Is the free version supported by ads? Eh, I paid for Aldiko on my phone months ago, figuring it never hurts to directly support a developer.
Yes, the free version of Aldiko app is ad-supported while the premium version is not. Currently, they both have the same set of features except the premium version will get faster update. The main purpose of the premium version is for users who would like to support the developers.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #52
minhtruong

Quote:
Originally Posted by debteb View Post
Does the paid version of this app have a pinch-and-zoom functionality? I just installed the free version and can't zoom-in. I have ezPDF which can do that.
Pinch to zoom-in and zoom-out for PDF files is supported on devices running on Android 2.2 or above.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #53
minhtruong

These are the instructions for import on Aldiko's website:

There are several ways to import eBook and document files (in ePub or PDF formats) into the Aldiko Book Reader:

(1) Put the eBook and document files in the SD card of your device, tap on the “SD Card” icon at Home. Check the box next to the file that you want to import (or tap on the menu key of your device and choose "Select All"), then tap on the “Import to Aldiko” button at the pop-up window at the bottom; Or

(2) Create a folder (say "import") in your SD card, put all the files that you want to import in that folder. Tap on the “SD Card” icon at Home, check the box next to the folder and then tap on the “Import to Aldiko” button at the pop-up window at the bottom; Or

(3) If the eBook or document files that you want to import are under different folders, tap on the “SD Card” icon at Home, check the box next to the folders that you want to import and then tap on the “Import to Aldiko” button at the pop-up window at the bottom.

Please note that if you are importing Adobe DRM protected ePub and PDF files, you need to authorize your device with an Adobe ID before doing import.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #54
minhtruong

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I tried this as well. You need to copy over the .acsm file instead of the book and use a program like astro to run it, and then it will download the library epub into astro
Instructions on Aldiko website for reading ebooks from public libraries :

You can use the Aldiko Book Reader to read eBooks borrowed from public libraries. To do so,

(1) Go to your local public library’s website on your computer, select any eBook in Adobe ePub or Adobe PDF format, check out and then download the eBooks files. Normally, libraries will offer you an acsm file for each eBook.

(2) Put the acsm file in the SD card of your device.

(3) Download and install a file manager app (e.g. ASTRO) from the Android market. Use the file manager app to locate the acsm file.

(4) Tap on the acsm file in the file manager app. If you have verified your device with an Adobe ID already, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko. If you haven’t verified your device with an Adobe ID before before, you should see a pop-up window which asks you to authorize your device with an Adobe ID. After authorization, the eBook will be automatically downloaded and imported into your bookshelf in Aldiko.

http://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/40...blic-libraries
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #55
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hama View Post
Hi
I have the galaxy Tab, and have a pretty big problem,in Aldiko 2,0 Free the writing on the pages is much too small, I'm missing some settings in the menu, "daylight" and "Text" so I have no ability to change font size.

The file format Pdf

Hope someone can help me.
Hi hama,

I can check on my GT tonight. You can also use ThinkFreeOffice. It came installed and free on mine.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #56
minhtruong

Quote:
I don't have any B&N purchased books so I can't test anything. What happens when you try to open a B&N book within Aldiko? Does it prompt you for anything?
Once you import or open a B&N book, Aldiko will prompt you to enter user name and password.

Last edited by minhtruong; 02-03-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #57
minhtruong

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Don't see any place to log in with your BN info - only Adobe - where do you enter BN info?
Once you import or open a B&N book, Aldiko will ask to enter user name and password.

Last edited by minhtruong; 02-03-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #58
minhtruong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Welcome to the unhappy state of DRM and multiple ebook formats of today! Because of DRM, and to a lesser extend multiple formats, you need separate readers for the B&N and Kindle books.

If you want to jump through hoops to overcome th DRM, let me just say that Google and Apprentice Alf will be your best friends.

If the ebooks don't have DRM, a reader like Aldiko will work for all 3 formats (.mobi, .epub., and .pdf).

The latest version of Aldiko app supports ePub and Pdf formats, as well as compatible with Adobe DRM. Thus Aldiko app can read books from Google ebooks, sony readers, Barnes and Noble and many others, but not Amazon because Amazon uses their own proprietary DRM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #59
minhtruong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hama View Post
Yes, but I have the Galaxy Tab, and need to use this :-) :-)
I am using Galaxy Tab too. You can use pinch gesture to zoom-in and zoom-out when reading PDF files.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #60
VikingCrown
VikingCrown began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 3
QQ, how many shelves is everyone's Aldiko showing? Mine shows 5 1/2 shelves and my covers are all really small. Is that normal? Rooted NC btw.

~ Brian
VikingCrown is offline   Reply With Quote