Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #31
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
No flames, KRorschachZ, we understand there is different outlooks amongst our members.

What it comes down to is "who do you trust to give you advice"?

I think everyone agrees there is no 100% sure guarantee, a lot depends on the individual users awareness of what is downloaded, and common sense.
ok, I'm more comfortable knowing that you understand my point of view,

If it were not for some readers might burn me in hell of rookies, I would say that Symantec is one of the best security suite, at least it is one that allows me to configure more options.

And no, I do not think she is so slow in real time execution. Nothing is further from reality

So if the thread is used to make good publicity for a lot of options.

that is never bad, for that we are.

greetings and memories. from Spain ;-)
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #32
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have a router, you don't need ZoneAlarm.
And why is that?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #33
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
ok, I'm more comfortable knowing that you understand my point of view,

If it were not for some readers might burn me in hell of rookies, I would say that Symantec is one of the best security suite, at least it is one that allows me to configure more options.

And no, I do not think she is so slow in real time execution. Nothing is further from reality

So if the thread is used to make good publicity for a lot of options.

that is never bad, for that we are.

greetings and memories. from Spain ;-)
I'm glad Symantec is working for you. The installation of Symantic Endpoint that came with my computer worked fine for about 6 months, then refused to update. The builder I got the computer from was unable to get it working again. Once I got rid of the thing (and that took some doing; Symantec products infest a computer like a gang of viruses), my computer ran much faster.

I had similar problems with Norton products choking up my previous computer.

Granted, the paid programs have more options but that doesn't mean that the freebies can't do just as good a job of keeping out viruses, which is what the game is all about (not all freebies are good; AVG is an example of a poor one). Usually, the only difference between free and paid versions of AV programs is one can't schedule automatic scans with the freebies.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #34
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
And why is that?
1) That makes the assumption that your router is locked down (no inbound ports open)
2) No other (infected) systems have access to the LAN (your) side of the network. No Wifi access included. Basically, you are a 1 computer (net device) household.
No BD-Live BluRay
No Internet Refridgerator (yes,OMG)
No (network connected) PVR
No WiFi devices that share the net.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And why is that?
Because a properly configured router will give you the firewall protection without having to run software on the computer to do so. Our router is locked down very tight. It would be quite hard to get in. Not only do you need to know the password, you need to have an authorized MAC address and no way anyone not authorized will have both.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #36
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because a properly configured router will give you the firewall protection without having to run software on the computer to do so. Our router is locked down very tight. It would be quite hard to get in. Not only do you need to know the password, you need to have an authorized MAC address and no way anyone not authorized will have both.
Not necessarily. I have all that and I still get an occasional intrusion blocked by Zone Alarm. ZoneAlarm's real value, however, is to keep programs I don't want phoning home from doing so plus, if a nasty should get past the AV and tries to phone home, it's not likely to be able to do so.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #37
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Best results: ESET/Malwarebytes, MSE/Malwarebytes. Low on system resources and great on protection. Sometimes, however, on an initial install of Calibre, you need to temporarily disable your antivirus, and then re-enable it after the installation is done.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #38
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRorschachZ View Post
With regard to the views of clear advertising, flash, java too? etc ... I can only laugh, of course if "navigate" in text mode, it will be very safe, but deadly boring.
Yes, obviously it would be very boring, because the interesting thing(s) on the net is the blinking, bleeping flash and java stuff and not the information and interaction available. And ads just about anywhere bring so much more to the browsing experience...

Quote:
ZoneAlarm's real value, however, is to keep programs I don't want phoning home from doing so plus, if a nasty should get past the AV and tries to phone home, it's not likely to be able to do so.
I use a personal firewall for the same reason, although you have to bear in mind that software running on the same box as the firewall does is, in theory, able to just bypass the firewall, whereas an external firewall application (i.e. on the router or as a dedicated box) is not that easily fooled.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre malware report