|
|
#1 |
|
Fanatic
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 522
Karma: 11708254
Join Date: Dec 2020
Device: Boox, Bigme, Hisense, Kobo
|
Good books to read in translation
I'm looking for good books to read in translation. My goal is to practice and improve my different languages by reading.
What I'm looking for falls into two categories, as far as I can see: 1. Books with really good translations. Many classics fall into this category, seeing as they tend to get translated by the best in the field. Some other popular books, such as the Harry Potter series, could also be mentioned here. These books could have good/creative prose, which is done justice in translation due to the knowledge and effort of the translator. 2. Books with simple/bad prose. It could be anything from literary works written in a simple style to something bland like Brandon Sanderson (who himself claims to keep the prose as simple as possible) to badly written works such as Twilight, 50 Shades of Gray, etc. These tend to inevitably improve in translation. I would be happy to hear your thoughts! The most likely candidates would probably be relatively popular works since they are more often translated in general. If you have any experience with reading a specific translation or particular translator that would also be very welcome. Personally, I'm mostly interested in reading in major European languages, but don't hesitate to mention translations in other ones, too
|
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,146
Karma: 4444444
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
I might suggest this one: https://brooklynrail.org/2022/02/boo...angers-I-Know/
I didn't read the english version, but it seems to differ a little from the original one, so comparing them would be a nice plus (imho). |
|
|
|
| Advert | |
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| What's a good way to store quotes from the books you read? | Logseman | General Discussions | 8 | 11-15-2023 08:38 AM |
| Dutch translation is not good | Wipneus | Recipes | 2 | 05-27-2017 12:09 AM |
| What's a good Vox language translation app? | lorken | Kobo Tablets | 2 | 03-13-2012 01:34 PM |