|
|
#1 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle Scribe 1st gen.
|
KOReader on Kindle – Mystery Fonts
Hi everybody :-)
On my recently jailbroken Kindle Scribe (1st gen.), KOReader’s font menu lists a number of amateurish novelty fonts: Ankle Biter Mono B Ankle Biter Single B Cadia Mono Cadia Single Florio Mono Florio Single Intruding Cat Mono A Intruding Cat Single A Juicy Gossip Mono A Juicy Gossip Single A Kadigan Mono D Kadigan Single D Notewright Mono Notewright Single Rainy Winter Mono D Rainy Winter Single D Salty Dish Mono A Salty Dish Single A Sunroom Mono Sunroom Single Tragic Marker Mono A Tragic Marker Single A I didn’t consciously install these fonts nor – apart from dictionaries – any additional packages, plug-ins, themes etc. KOReader on my Kindle Voyage doesn’t have them. So I wonder how they arrived on my Scribe. Were they introduced during the Véra jailbreak? Anyway, I would like to get rid of them. But when I look at the Kindle Scribe’s directory (via USB File Manager, on a Mac) I can’t see any corresponding files, neither in ./fonts, ./koreader/fonts nor anywhere else. (However, there are some legitimate fonts whose files I can’t see, either, eg Code2000 or STHeitiTC.) Any ideas how to remove these unwanted fonts greatly appreciated! |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,705
Karma: 5000564
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
|
What’s your firmware version?
|
|
|
|
| Advert | |
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle Scribe 1st gen.
|
Kindle 5.19.6 (4832190042)
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,705
Karma: 5000564
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
|
I don’t think these are system fonts.
Make sure you fully removed UI plugins. They sometimes ship with their own fonts. |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle Scribe 1st gen.
|
|
|
|
|
| Advert | |
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,705
Karma: 5000564
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
|
Ok, someone else confirmed on Discord that 5.19.6 has these fonts.
They are system fonts, so I would NOT recommend messing with them. Instead, you can open a feature request on KOReader’s Github page to allow hiding fonts from the UI. It is not currently implemented |
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 4
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Location: Germany
Device: Kindle Scribe 1st gen.
|
Mergen3107, thank you for following up on this!
Quote:
Or rather, that they were installed in the process of jailbreaking firmware 5.19.6? I see, but—how exactly would I go about messing with them if I wanted to? :-) Actually, I do want to know what has been installed on my devices, and for what purpose. Hey, I didn’t choose my user name at random. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
Digital Grenadier
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 260
Karma: 2500000
Join Date: Jan 2024
Device: Kindle
|
do you understand what a jailbreak is? jailbreak does no install anything at all.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,705
Karma: 5000564
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
|
Yes, they are. Most probably some of their font licenses expired so they got new ones. At least Caecilia was removed.
Those are non-text fonts with symbols and stuff, which is 99% used somewhere in the system. So please careful |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,705
Karma: 5000564
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
|
If you really want to mess with them, here be dragons.
Make sure to install usbnetlite + two-file auth + enable on boot. System fonts are usually in /usr/java/lib/fonts/ folder. However, I don’t think if you delete them they will disappear, since most of the system stuff is deployed with squashfs. Which you also can edit… If you still think that this “fuss” is worth doing instead of a simple FR on Github, then who am I to stop you
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,291
Karma: 10468300
Join Date: Dec 2011
Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
|
Another way to make changes is if you edit koreader.sh.
There's a couple of lines like this: Quote:
I'm not really an expert on this so take it with a pinch of salt but I did try it out and it seems to work. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,705
Karma: 5000564
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cape Canaveral
Device: Kindle Scribe
|
Keep in mind that you would need to edit koreader.sh every time you update KOReader though
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| change of koreader menu fonts | danielk1591 | KOReader | 5 | 05-25-2021 12:19 PM |
| KOReader and Fonts | Winkelschraube | KOReader | 15 | 10-07-2020 01:34 PM |
| What are the nicest looking fonts you think would look good on the koreader? | lori87 | KOReader | 32 | 06-20-2019 08:14 PM |
| KoReader - fonts | BobC | KOReader | 4 | 01-04-2019 05:29 AM |
| Share any good fonts or even kindle optimized fonts that you find for kindle here. | techiemonkey | Kindle Developer's Corner | 8 | 07-22-2012 08:33 AM |