|
|
#1 |
|
Guru
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 867
Karma: 2111023
Join Date: Sep 2013
Device: Kobo Sage
|
Embedded Fonts: Keep or Remove?
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but I'm wondering if there's any kind of consensus on keeping or removing embedded fonts in fiction books. I've always had Calibre strip out any embedded fonts in fiction epubs (with Modify ePub) and let my Kobo's set the font I want to use. But, I'm wondering if I should leave those fonts in place instead.
Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 10-09-2026 at 06:20 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 | |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,282
Karma: 154365101
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Quote:
Last edited by JSWolf; 10-08-2026 at 06:05 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
A Hairy Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,509
Karma: 21099999
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston, SC today
Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
|
I second Jon’s point.
Some Fonts are special and are used to help tell the story, or set the mood/atmosphere. That doesn’t happen often, but it’s important when it does. Check what the font is and how the font is being used before removing. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
Bibliophagist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 55,013
Karma: 182340534
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
|
Add me to the check what the fonts are used for before stripping them group.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#5 | |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,282
Karma: 154365101
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Quote:
Some books use a sans-serif font for text messages, letters, notes, etc. Some use a font to simulate a person's writing. Some use a font for words in a language that's not English. So blindly ripping out all of the fonts means you could lose the tone/mood of the book. The main body font is usually one you can remove as it's usually some version of Garamond or Charis SIL. Last edited by JSWolf; 10-08-2026 at 06:04 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
monstrous mythical beast
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 200
Karma: 5078396
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Klopstokia
Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, Viwoods AIPaper Reader, various NXTPAPER
|
Why bother at all? Font files usually don't take up much space and epub files stripped of embedded fonts won't hardly save any space on your Kobo.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,282
Karma: 154365101
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Because usually the main body font is not a good choice. Adobe Garamond is a commonly embedded font. It's not good for eInk.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
monstrous mythical beast
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 200
Karma: 5078396
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Klopstokia
Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, Viwoods AIPaper Reader, various NXTPAPER
|
And what's the problem when the font isn't used for reading anyway because enuddleyarbl "let my Kobo's set the font I want to use". The embedded fonts aren't used so let them sit in the epub archive file and don't bother with it. If you have too much time to waste on the other hand...you could do it or you could watch paint dry.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Guru
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 867
Karma: 2111023
Join Date: Sep 2013
Device: Kobo Sage
|
I've been removing the embedded fonts because I was getting tired of fancy-fonts-for-no-reason making the reading of books more difficult. But, I agree I might have thrown the baby out with the bathwater, here (which is why I'm asking the question on consensus).
Jon's suggestion to initially limit my font removal to any embedded body fonts seems like a good idea. For instance, I've attached a screenshot of part of the first page of one of the books in James Islington's "Hierarchy" series. To me, that text is spindly and too light (it's EBGaramond). So, reading it is difficult for no reason. Plus, the lines seem spaced out even though I can't find anything in the CSS/HTML that would cause that (which I've fixed by re-doing all the CSS/HTML). |
|
|
|
|
|
#10 | |
|
A Hairy Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,509
Karma: 21099999
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charleston, SC today
Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
|
Quote:
- Amazon guideline restricts using a body font - The included font may not be licensed properly - The font may have been sub-set incorrectly causing missing symbols - The font may be inappropriate for your reading device (eink) - The font may just be too ugly - The font file size may be too large, ie has 4 bajillion symbols and only used 4 Or, you could just be CDO like me and like to remove any unnecessary cruft from your books!!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#11 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 8,339
Karma: 72602129
Join Date: Feb 2009
Device: Kobo Clara 2E
|
I throw the baby out with the bathwater.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#12 | |
|
Resident Curmudgeon
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 85,282
Karma: 154365101
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#13 |
|
Addict
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 226
Karma: 2000
Join Date: Nov 2025
Device: none
|
I override all font in reader, I like my books to look what I want.
So I do not favor storytelling using fonts, it would be better done with caption, italic and bold. As to storage, Chinese fonts are HUGE, source sans can take up to 21MB PER FONT WEIGHT. So it's better to be removed. But I agree that time is more valuable than storage, so I usually didn't bother. |
|
|
|
|
|
#14 |
|
Sigil Developer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 10,134
Karma: 7640000
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: many
|
I remember trying to read the Bernard Cornwell books, many of them used old English/Viking names whose characters simply would not appear without the embedded font. Strange to think people throw them out. Of course the standard fonts in most e-readers supported little unicode back in those days.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#15 |
|
Guru
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 867
Karma: 2111023
Join Date: Sep 2013
Device: Kobo Sage
|
I've actually run into a similar problem once or twice. Things looked fine in Calibre's editor/viewer. But, when I read the book on my Kobo, there was just a blank space where a particular word/name was supposed to be. But, in those cases, I messed around in the editor again until I could get something that showed up in the Kobo.
I've turned off the "Remove Embedded Fonts" option in Modify ePub and have been looking at some of the original books I've purchased that have embedded fonts. So far, the only embedded fonts were used as generic body fonts or in those advertising pages the publishers stick in the books. And, once I removed those pages, I deleted the fonts. I know there are books that use embedded fonts to some real purpose, so I'll keep embedded fonts by default until I can dig through the books and see if they're actually needed. If not, I'll turn the Modify ePub option back on for a run, pull them out and clean up the CSS manually afterward. |
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Embedded fonts and User fonts | JSWolf | KOReader | 4 | 02-02-2021 03:31 PM |
| Remove all embedded fonts from books in Calibre 5.9 | labfred | Calibre | 2 | 01-11-2021 08:50 PM |
| How to remove embedded fonts? | Ebby | Sigil | 39 | 06-21-2013 02:29 PM |
| Glo Kobo fonts naming conventions and embedded fonts | roger64 | Kobo Reader | 0 | 05-09-2013 06:30 AM |
| Embedded fonts, Calibre, and choice of fonts | AlexBell | ePub | 8 | 05-30-2010 06:00 AM |