|
|
#32866 |
|
Enthusiast
![]() Posts: 35
Karma: 10
Join Date: Feb 2026
Location: UK
Device: E-pub
|
Sense and Sensibility.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32867 |
|
Observant Owl
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 15,420
Karma: 70503014
Join Date: Nov 2009
Device: NookColor, Nook Glowlight 4
|
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Decided to purchase an ebook containing the entire series, and read the entire series.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32868 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 29,825
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32869 |
|
Grand Sorcerer
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 29,825
Karma: 212614993
Join Date: Jan 2010
Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
|
I doubt it will make me chuckle, but I'm starting In the Distance by Hernan Diaz. The audiobook narrated by Alexander Skarsgard.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32870 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,528
Karma: 10827780
Join Date: Dec 2009
Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
|
I finished Scalzi, 'The End of All Things'. Not sure what I'm going to read. I've toyed with the Count of Monte Cristo, the last Old Man's War book, or The German Daughter a WW2 historical fiction book. The German Daughter by Soraya Lane is well reviewed. I'm just undecided right now.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32871 |
|
Connoisseur
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 62
Karma: 640318
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia
Device: Kindle Paperwhite
|
September reading list
DAYS AT THE MORISAKI BOOKSHOP by Satoshi Yagisawa [2009] HOT CHOCOLATE ON THURSDAY by Michiko Aoyama [2017] THONGOR AND THE WIZARD OF LEMURIA by Lin Carter [1965] THE GREATEST VILLAIN by Aleksandar Milijkovic WOLFBANE by Fred Pohl and C M Kornbluth [1959] ELLERY QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE - 85th annivsary - September 2026 DIARY OF A CAT by Mayumi Nagano - D.N.F. THE MEMORY BOOKSHOP by Sung Yu-jeong [2024] TROUBLE IN TRIPLICATE by Rex Stout [1949] FOR THE DEFENSE, DR. THORNDYKE by R Austin Freeman VERMILLION SANDS by J G Ballard MICROCOSMIC GOD short stories of Theodore Sturgeon Vol. 2 |
|
|
|
|
|
#32872 |
|
Professor of Law
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,857
Karma: 69989185
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
|
I find myself with a full month off of my full time job (for time served) and an itch to spend the fall days reading. I've set myself two major projects:
I also have my regular reading on the go, which currently consists of:
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32873 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,155
Karma: 4444444
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
I've read the prequel and the sequel trilogies of the "Star Wars" saga's graphic novels, by Alessandro Ferrari.
Really liked them, as far as I haven't watched anything after "Rogue One", the sequel contains the final chapter of the entire saga, which I did read now for the first time. Very nice thought. The sites doesn't mention differencies but the prequel has many more artists on work, thought it shows onto the general scenes, that in this one looks aesthetically deep, (imho) the later has something flattered compared to, e.g. how the ambients, buildings and vehicles contrast to the characters.. I put some screenshoots. The last two are from the sequel. Now on "The Brothers Karamazov", there is something about "simple-hearted people" writtings from Russia that has few equals (but imho again). I'll further search for the "Star Wars Omnibus" by Marvel UK: Quote:
Last edited by nana77; 10-07-2026 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typo |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32874 | |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 3,155
Karma: 4444444
Join Date: May 2025
Device: Kobo Forma, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
|
Spoiler:
lol, till I'd searched about I was thinking you was to mention "2001: A Space Odyssey", wandering on what's wrong with it (LOL again). Quote:
Last edited by nana77; 10-07-2026 at 01:17 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32875 |
|
Leftutti
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 658
Karma: 3671119
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Bavaria
Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
|
Ox-eyed is my favourite term from the Odysey. I can’t help but have a little giggle
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32876 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 2,327
Karma: 13614476
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
|
I'm having another spell on Kindle Unlimited thanks to the recent offer, and I like to look for a bit of KU non-fiction to read alongside my main book.
I found, and started The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books by Martin Edwards, which is basically a giant listicle, and kind of ties in with the British Library Crime Classics collection, many of which are also on KU (and quite a few are out of copyright). There's a couple of pages about each of 100 significant, mostly British, crime books from the first half of the 20th Century. I fear it is going to be bad for my TBR. Edit: I should probably add that the ebook isn't all that great. It is sometimes missing spaces after full stops, and there's a weird detached letter at the start of a chapter that is probably meant to be a drop cap. I think there might be pictures in the pbook, too, but I haven't yet seen any in the ebook. It's perfectly readable, though. Last edited by DrNefario; 10-09-2026 at 04:49 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#32877 |
|
(he/him/his)
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 12,372
Karma: 81280884
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
Device: Kobo Libra 2, Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, iPad Air M3
|
I've recently discovered a new author, sadly only available on Amazon - Nole Moody. I started out with his Mr. Gorzug series, and am now reading the 2 part "Corey Naylor - Space Janitor" series. These books are quirky, fun, and quite entertaining. Getting them onto my Kobo has been a challenge, but one I've accepted, given that I'm choosing to buy them rather than merely borrowing them via KU.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32878 |
|
Wizard
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 1,380
Karma: 29716142
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ireland
Device: Kindle Oasis 3, iPad 9th gen. IPhone 11
|
The Great War
The Great War 1914–1918
Peter Hart The Great War is a fine single volume history of what we normally refer to as The First World War. In the excellent Preface Hart describes it as “ . . . The single most important event of the Twentieth Century, shaping the world that we live in today.” He mentions the following points to underline this: “It subverted the rules by which men had hoped wars would be fought.” In the Great War civilians were sucked into the destruction on a scale never seen before. It “swept away” the European Order that had ruled the world up to 1914.New world powers arose—especially The United States. Nationalistic Political approaches such Fascism and Communism began to replace the old conventions of the old Imperial System. And terrible weapons of mass destruction were developed and used. One of the most effective methods used by Peter Hart is the use of a significant number of primary sources. They range from comments made by the generals to the vivid experiences of the soldiers themselves in the trenches and both sides of the combatants are represented. As a one volume history Hart accepts certain limitations. Events are primarily presented using a “British Perspective” but are expanded when necessary to cover global events. Further, the emphasis is on the great dramatic battles which determined the course of the war. Thus, while there is a chapter on the “road to war” no mention is made of the efforts made by Pope Benedict XIV in the early stages of the conflict to create a diplomatic pause and prevent the catastrophe. However Hart does manage to mention two of the great “war poets” (Owen and Sassoon) whose works show the horrors of the war with such devastating power. While one must go to other works ( such as Christopher Clarke) for very detailed discussion of events, this book is an excellent general introduction. |
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Hey hey! I found the first Kindle 3 bug! | WilliamG | Amazon Kindle | 22 | 02-14-2012 05:28 PM |
| Advice on Action | jaxx6166 | Writers' Corner | 5 | 06-25-2010 12:29 AM |
| Hey! From Reading - P.A. that is. | GlenBarrington | Introduce Yourself | 3 | 01-01-2010 09:00 PM |
| Seriously thoughtful Affirmative Action | Jaime_Astorga | Lounge | 39 | 07-07-2009 06:24 PM |