|
|
#1 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle Scribe 3
|
I need to access my annotations
I have sideloaded a personal book on my Kindle Scribe 3 and now I need all the annotations (there are thousands!). Unfortunately myclippings.txt for whatever reason isn't there and I have no idea how to extract what I need.
Has a solution to this issue been found? I can't factory reset my kindle (the temporary hotfix) because I would lose weeks of work. What do I do? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 3
Karma: 12
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: none
|
Hey!
Before anything else, plug it into a computer and copy the whole documents folder, especially the .sdr folder next to your book. That's where the Kindle keeps your highlights and notes, so once you have a copy a reset can't take them. KRDS or kindle-reading-dashboard (there's a thread about it here) can read those sidecar files and pull the highlights out, and the basic scripts work on a normal Kindle mounted over USB. I haven't tried it on a Scribe 3, so run it on the copy, not the device. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Bibliophagist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Posts: 54,784
Karma: 182340541
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
|
You may also want to check the "Your Clippings" is no more thread for as to why you are not seeing the clippings file.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 | ||
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle Scribe 3
|
Quote:
Quote:
|
||
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 3
Karma: 12
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: none
|
[QUOTE=emailmask;4612036]thanks for the tip about the .sdr folder! I've tried with the KRDS gui but it crashes on startup everytime with Calibre last version
Oh, sorry it didn't work. :/ KRDS itself doesn't need calibre, so the crash is probably that GUI rather than your files. A few things so I can point you the right way: what format is the book (PDF, EPUB sent to Kindle, AZW3...)? Are the annotations typed highlights, or handwritten notes with the pen? And are you on Windows or Mac? |
|
|
|
|
|
#6 | |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 5
Karma: 10
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: Kindle Scribe 3
|
[QUOTE=KBAILEY90;4612047]
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 |
|
Junior Member
![]() Posts: 3
Karma: 12
Join Date: Sep 2026
Device: none
|
Ok! I think I got it. Since calibre made the AZW3 there's no DRM, so the highlights can be matched back to the text.
Forget the plugin. Grab Python from python.org, download the kindle-reading-dashboard repo as a zip and open a command prompt in the azw3text folder. Run this once: python assemble_azw3_text.py --get-kindleunpack then: python extract_highlights.py "C:\your\copy\YourBook.azw3" Keep the .sdr folder next to the book. You should get a .highlights.md file with everything in it. Only tested on a regular Kindle though, not a Scribe, so do it on the copy. If it errors out just paste it here and we'll figure it out. |
|
|
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Save annotations to a file in ebook viewer, then view these annotations in the browse | Sys_eng | Library Management | 2 | 11-10-2023 09:41 PM |
| Libra 2 "Unable to import annotations as the annotations column has not been configured..." | Liudprand | Kobo Reader | 2 | 07-29-2023 10:56 PM |
| Annotations: Capture/Convert Kobo-Kindle (uses OpenWith and Annotations Plugins) | EnergyLens | Related Tools | 12 | 03-28-2020 01:04 PM |
| Best way to sideload content in order to have online access to highlights/annotations | GeekyGirl | Amazon Kindle | 1 | 04-11-2013 02:31 PM |
| Pdf annotations and Kindle annotations | BranMakMorn | Calibre | 0 | 06-25-2011 02:42 PM |