Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How good are Amazon's pdf conversions?

Hi all,

One of the (many) reasons I want an ebook reader is to read a few free technical pdf's I currently have on my computer, most of all the Navy Electricty and Electronics Training series of texts. I have Mobipocket Creator on the Windows virtual machine on my Mac, but I'd also like the option of a quicker way of conversion than firing up the computer and booting up VMWare Fusion, then Windows, then the MB Creator app, and dragging and dropping the files between OS's.

The main question is, how many folks have used Amazon's conversion, and how well did the documents cone out? Since both Sony and Bookeen have had firmware updates that improve their pdf capabilities, I'm wondering if they might be a better choice (although in the case of the Sony I'd still have to fire up Windows for firmware updates). I'm aware that reading pdf's on these devices can be problematic. I've seen a few screenshots that seem to indicate that the Amazon converted files are fairly readable, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks in advance for any insights and advice you folks have.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stapler View Post
Hi all,

One of the (many) reasons I want an ebook reader is to read a few free technical pdf's I currently have on my computer, most of all the Navy Electricty and Electronics Training series of texts. I have Mobipocket Creator on the Windows virtual machine on my Mac, but I'd also like the option of a quicker way of conversion than firing up the computer and booting up VMWare Fusion, then Windows, then the MB Creator app, and dragging and dropping the files between OS's.

The main question is, how many folks have used Amazon's conversion, and how well did the documents cone out? Since both Sony and Bookeen have had firmware updates that improve their pdf capabilities, I'm wondering if they might be a better choice (although in the case of the Sony I'd still have to fire up Windows for firmware updates). I'm aware that reading pdf's on these devices can be problematic. I've seen a few screenshots that seem to indicate that the Amazon converted files are fairly readable, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks in advance for any insights and advice you folks have.
I have not been happy with conversion of pdfs with lots of table and images. They just don't convert well, IMO. Text is fine.

If you could upload one or a few pages from a pdf of the type of text and diagrams you would need, I'll have Amazon convert them and upload images so you'll have a better idea if the Kindle will work for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Don't have a Kindle myself, though another family member does. From what I could tell, the conversion appears to be about the same as using Mobipocket desktop software to do the job. OK for some documents, really unusable for others.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon

Thanks daffy, I'm attaching a pdf I made of a few graphics heavy pages from one of the texts. And bwaldron, thanks for responding as well.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mod10 - 15to24.pdf (254.0 KB, 457 views)
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stapler View Post
Thanks daffy, I'm attaching a pdf I made of a few graphics heavy pages from one of the texts. And bwaldron, thanks for responding as well.
Got it. I'll post images as soon as the conversion comes back.
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Here ya go. I'm posting several pages. There are quite a few more in the zip file.

Everything looks pretty good with the images but there were a couple rough spots with some Greek letters. Those images are at the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6478.gif
Views:	516
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	16127   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6483.gif
Views:	497
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	16128   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6484.gif
Views:	504
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	16129   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6485.gif
Views:	483
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	16130   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6486.gif
Views:	490
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	16131   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6487.gif
Views:	456
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	16132   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6491.gif
Views:	469
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	16133   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6494.gif
Views:	493
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	16134   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-6499.gif
Views:	457
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	16135   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-8.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	16136   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-8a.gif
Views:	487
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	16137   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-8b.gif
Views:	483
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	16138   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-9.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	16139   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-9.gif
Views:	488
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	16140  
Attached Files
File Type: zip RedStapler.zip (530.8 KB, 421 views)
Old 09-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I have taken the liberty to download the file and import it into Mobipocket Desktop Reader and I get almost the same look you show in your images.

A good example is the wavelength definition - your 1-8a.gif file - and the rubbish at the end of the page is exactly the same:

GLVWDQFH EHWZHHQ $ DQG ( RU % DQG ) HWF LV RQH ZDYHOHQJWK 7KH *UHHN OHWWHU ODPEGD LV XVHG WR

So I would not disagree with bwaldron in that Amazon’s conversion mechanism is the same (or a very close similar) as the one used by the Mobipocket Desktop Reader.

Final: I do think it’s useless for these kinds of documents.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon

Well, except for the gibberish, it actually looks better than I expected. Thanks everyone for your help and input. It's kind of puzzling that the part where the conversion stumbles and creates gibberish looks (to me, anyway) like ordinary text in the original, where it looks like the graphics and images came out fairly well. Well, I did expect there to be trade offs in using any of these for pdf's. And it also sounds like there's no real difference in the quality between Amazon's process and Mobipocket's.

Tags
duck!