Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
canezila
Edge User

Can this be done? Continuously backed-up pdf with annotation?? Dropbox?

Hello everyone,

I take attendance and need to have it backed up every time... continuously... SO, I was thinking of using dropbox. But I can not seem to figure out how to have my annotated PDF file saved into my DROPBOX folder so it will happen every time. Does that make scene? Any other ideas?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Dr. T
Edge User

I cannot get any files to save to dropbox from my eDGe, period. I get an error stating that no file manager is installed. As such, I'm not sure how easy it would be to automatically save a file to dropbox.

Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

I can use Storage to copy a file into a Dropbox folder and it syncs immediately. I checked the Reader and Journal and both only save to the Public folder. So, you would need to find an app that can monitor one directory and copy any new/changed files to another directory. You can PM our good friend mrspaceman and see if he'd be interested in crafting the necessary software

Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I can use Storage to copy a file into a Dropbox folder and it syncs immediately.
Ok, Boris, I'm lost. Using Storage, I have moved files into a folder called Dropbox on the internal storage of my EE. It has not synced, though... I don't see it on my EE or on any other device connected to my dropbox. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm sure it is a simple fix, but I am a simple man.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Oops - I got fooled by the Storage "copying file" notification icon.

But, I did figure you what you meant by "no file manager installed". You get that when you press "Menu" then "Upload". Turns out the Android Storage app and ES File Explorer don't qualify. If you install Astro or OI File Manager (a companion to OI News Reader), then the "Upload" function will give you the choice. You pick the file (using the file manager) and DropBox then does upload it, and it quickly syncs on your other devices.

So, it's not as easy as dropping a file in a certain directory. A programmer would need to investigate the DropBox API for an Upload function (which may well exist).

Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Excellent. I'm not as crazy/inept as I thought... okay, maybe that's stretching the interpretation a bit

I will look into Astro or OI File manager... or I'll just keep putting things on a jump drive. Thanks for all of your insight!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Of the two, get Astro. Lot of people around here like it and it has some neat features.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Dr. T
Edge User

Excellent, thank you!