Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #616
dr. ego
dr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I think this effect would also occur if there is a KoboRoot.tgz in the .kobo folder. Do you have by chance one there? I guess no, and hope yes. In the main menu there would appear an option "handle updates".
Because i couldn't get into nickel, i uninstalled ksm. As there was no uninstall package in the ksm 6 zip, i installed the official 3.11 firmware through ksm. My screen became kinda weird/glitched and the ereader became unresponsive for a while, even the reset button wouldn't do anything. Luckily it booted after a while and everything was fine.

I just installed ksm again to see if there was an update file in the .kobo folder, which there wasn't. But to my surprise i can get into nickel just fine now, ksm seems to run ok this time.

Before i first installed ksm, i was running vlasofts launcher and koreader. I did uninstall them before installing ksm, but maybe it left something behind which i guess i got rid of by reinstalling the 3.11 firmware.
dr. ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #617
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. ego View Post
But to my surprise i can get into nickel just fine now, ksm seems to run ok this time.
I am glad your device is ok and KSM running. There are however still some problems with HD and H2O.

Quote:
Before i first installed ksm, i was running vlasofts launcher and koreader. I did uninstall them before installing ksm, but maybe it left something behind which i guess i got rid of by reinstalling the 3.11 firmware.
vlasovsoft and koreader should not have any negative effect on KSM. I did not remove them when I test installed KSM on my devices.
Could you think of any other thing that might have caused the problems, so that we can warn other prospective users?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #618
dr. ego
dr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo H2O
After reinstalling the 3.11 firmware i was able to get KSM working on my H2O. That's the only thing i can think of. Why it didn't work in the first place i have no clue.
dr. ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #619
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
The post you refer to mentions two points, (1) failure to reset sleep timeout, (2) part of screen covered by the bezel.

To point 1, could you tell me in which context this happens? What application is running at that time? Which application sets the initial sleep timeout? I Guess it is KoboLauncher/CR?
Yes, it occurs in KoboLauncher/CR.
Has looked in hex-editor - in a new libKoboTS.so there are no links on SuspendManager and libSuspendManager.so.

Quote:
Point 2 seems hardly related to the touch/mouse driver. You can try setting the geometry of the KSM applications.
Screenshot in attach: 1429x1080
Top black-line is not visible on device (is hidden behind edge of screen). Probably, a problem in her.
Options of geometry for H2O:
Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=1070x1417+4+17
ksmGeometryValuesS=1070x1417+6+6
ksmGeometryValuesE=1417x1070+6+6
ksmGeometryValuesW=1417x1070+17+5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.png
Views:	482
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	131393  
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #620
valris
(•ω•)
valris began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
After reinstalling the 3.11 firmware i was able to get KSM working on my H2O. That's the only thing i can think of. Why it didn't work in the first place i have no clue.
I reinstalled 3.11 on my Aura and then <<ksm 6 again, but it still doen't work.
valris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM   #621
Ebri
Groupie
Ebri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura HD
I am lost a bit in the mails, is there problems with Aura HD? (If there are I would wait until a more stable version, as during installing a stable version I usually do some factory resets.)
Ebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #622
Ebri
Groupie

I haven't waited for answer, nickel, koreader and launcher seems to work as expected in the new KSM6. Though it is slower to start up than 4 which made me frightened a bit.

I see now koreader also reboots on exit, or was it the same in 4? (4 somehow never worked perfectly for me).
Old 11-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #623
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebri View Post
I haven't waited for answer, nickel, koreader and launcher seems to work as expected in the new KSM6. Though it is slower to start up than 4 which made me frightened a bit.

I see now koreader also reboots on exit, or was it the same in 4? (4 somehow never worked perfectly for me).
How do you get nickel with your Kindle Paperwhite 2? For that matter, I didn't know that the Kobo Start Menu worked on Kindles.

For my Kobo AuraHD 3.5.0, Koreader returns to KSM on exit. KSM6 has a number of options that you can use to launch nickel and Koreader, I usually just have the normal launch available on the menu.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #624
Ebri
Groupie

Thank you, I forgot I entered PW2 and didn't check my identity , since August I use the Aura HD.

I see the cause of reboot, koreader checks whether it was called from advboot by checking whether there is a directory "advboot" under .kobo, so I think I should remove advboot directory also.

Last edited by Ebri; 11-22-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #625
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
One thing that threw me at first was that the Reader Menu has both the Home/Exit Icon/tab (which used to take me back to the File Manager) and a new Icon/tab for the File Manager. The Home/exit Icon/tab exits Koreader now, and if you launched Koreader from KSM, you return there.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-23-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #626
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Screenshot in attach: 1429x1080
Top black-line is not visible on device (is hidden behind edge of screen). Probably, a problem in her.
Options of geometry for H2O:
Code:
ksmGeometryValuesN=1070x1417+4+17
ksmGeometryValuesS=1070x1417+6+6
ksmGeometryValuesE=1417x1070+6+6
ksmGeometryValuesW=1417x1070+17+5
The geometry settings in usersettings.txt affect (currently) only the appearance of KSM applications.

If you want to apply the geometry settings also to vlasovsoft-launcher, replace .kobo\kbmenu\onstart\start_vlasovlauncher.sh by the new start_vlasovlauncher.sh of the uploaded archive.

If you want to apply the geometry settings to CR, replace .kobo\vlasovsoft\cr3.sh by the new one of the uploaded archive.
If you want to apply the geometry settings to other vlasovsoft-applications modify the concerning .sh files accordingly.

You cannot apply these settings to nickel.

The three attached images illustrate the effect on a Kobo Touch. (I overdo the values for sake of clearity.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20141123_191812.png
Views:	1288
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	131485   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20141123_191830.png
Views:	6041
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	131486   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20141123_192002.png
Views:	496
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	131487  
Attached Files
File Type: zip geometry_vlasovlauncher.zip (598 Bytes, 269 views)

Last edited by tshering; 11-23-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #627
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I was getting frustrated because Nickel was starting after 20 seconds. I had to read this thread three times before I realized it was set to autostart. (Note to self: Read The Fine Manual.)

Excellent job on this. It just gets better and better. Thank you.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 11-23-2014 at 09:53 PM.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 AM   #628
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
I was getting frustrated because Nickel was starting after 20 seconds. I had to read this thread three times before I realized it was set to autostart. (Note to self: Read The Fine Manual.)

Excellent job on this. It just gets better and better. Thank you.
I am glad you like it. I know, there is still a lot to improve, and also this thread is becoming confusing.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #629
tshering
Wizard

One of those things that currently (KSM 06) do not work correctly is the poweroff script. The poweroff screen is displayed upside down on Aura HD, Aura H2O, and maybe Aura. The reason for this is that I tried to improve the script. There has always been the option to display the KSM power-off screen also when powering down from nickel. But with the exception of the Kobo Touch, all devices showed the screen upside down, if powerd down from nickel (I did not document this very emphatically and do not think many people used this option anyway). My attempt to solve this problem unfortunately caused the power-off screen on HD/H2O (and maybe Aura) to be turned when powering off from KSM.

How to improve:
  • If you are not interested in displaying the KSM power-off screen when powering off from nickel, you can replace .kobo/kbmenu/onstart/poweroff.sh by the old script (which I re-upload in this post) to get rid of the problem. (Edit: This script is now included in KBStartMenu_06_update01b.zip, which you can find here.)
  • If you are a HD/H2O owner and would like to help improve the script, please consider running this test.

-----------------

Another problem concerns switching between nickel/koreader and koreader/nickel. Markismus reported that on H2O koreader is being displayed upside down. Now my question is, whether this is also happening on other models (I know that it works correctly on Touch and Glo). If the problem is showing on HD and/or AURA too, is this a new problem (KSM 06), or was it always there?

Last edited by tshering; 12-22-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #630
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@tshering: Finally discovered why I was seeing the wrong line endings... It wasn't the editor, rather it was WINZIP!

I was using Winzip 14.5 to extract the tar file, and in it's preferences I had the option "TAR file smart CR/LF conversion" set. I didn't even know that option existed until I went looking.

From the help file
Quote:
TAR file smart CR/LF conversion - When selected, this option determines if "smart" CR/LF conversion should be performed when extracting from TAR files. CR/LF is short for Carriage Return/Line Feed, the standard end of line indicator. This option can be useful when a TAR file contains text files created on a Unix or Macintosh machine. Unix text files usually contain lines ending in Line Feed characters only, and Macintosh text files usually contain lines ending in a Carriage Return character. The standard Windows Notepad program and many other Windows programs require a Carriage Return and Line Feed at the end of each line. When the TAR File smart CR/LF conversion option is in effect, WinZip determines whether to perform CR/LF conversion file inside a TAR file by looking at the first 80 characters in each file. If the file is a text file then single LF and CR characters are converted to CR/LF pairs so the file can be viewed by Notepad and other Windows viewers. Files are considered text when the first 80 bytes contain only characters with ASCII values between 0x20 and 0x7f, carriage returns, line feeds, form feeds, tabs, and other alphanumeric characters (as determined by the Windows IsCharAlphaNumeric API).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote