Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #31
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I agree that these devices might very well tank big time if they don't have some decent format support.

I also think eReader is a really bad idea on a device with a 6" or larger screen. The problem is the way eReader eBooks are formatted. Again we are trying to fit old technology onto new technology. eReader is formatted for small palm type screens. That may work fine there, but not on a decent sized screen. Can you imagine reading a book with line separators for each paragraph and no indents? That looks awful on my computer screen. And it will not look any better on a 6" or 9.7" screen.
Hmmm, it might just be because I got so very used to reading eReader books on my pda but I have some books on my Cybook formatted with double paragraph breaks and no indents. I find I quite like them as long as I go one font size smaller than I do on 'regular' books.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I've taken to doing for eBooks I reformat is to use no margin, no footers or headers, 10 point as the base font size and a narrower word spacing. This gives me a good amount of lines/words per-line on the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
Is there just a CE version? All of the versions I see, except the full Windows version, seem to be for a specific platform of CE (PocketPC, Windows Mobile, etc.). Those platforms are specific builds of WinCE (see here for a good explanation). If µbook is designed for those platforms, a WinCE machine may not have some of the tools or libraries the software requires and expects.

It's been some time since I used any WinCE products (I had a couple of HPC machines), but I do remember that even when you had the right processor and the right version of WinCE, the actual platform could cause compatibility issues.

Jack
Yes, there is a WinCE version. I'm using it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #34
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I also think eReader is a really bad idea on a device with a 6" or larger screen. The problem is the way eReader eBooks are formatted. Again we are trying to fit old technology onto new technology. eReader is formatted for small palm type screens. That may work fine there, but not on a decent sized screen. Can you imagine reading a book with line separators for each paragraph and no indents? That looks awful on my computer screen. And it will not look any better on a 6" or 9.7" screen.
I know this thread hasn't been touched in a few weeks, but I wasn't home to respond to this comment when I first saw it, and I kept forgetting which thread this was part of.

Anyway, while blank lines would not bother me much (I stare at docs all day formatted that way), the paragraph formatting is handled by the software. The blank lines are used on small screens but, on the mac for instance, the paragraphs are displayed with an indented first line and no extra spacing in between. I am attaching an example.

By the way, the font, justification, line spacing, window size, margin sizes, and one- or two-page view are customizable. I did switch to a plain color scheme for the example.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	erdr-pic.png
Views:	404
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	13166  
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astak