Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Freckles
Freckles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, ipod touch, awaiting Astak EzReader
Pocket Pro Questions

Hi All

I was one of the winners of a Pocket Pro in the recent MR competition!! Thank you so much Astak and Robertb -- it looks to be a great reader.

While I wait for it to arrive, I have been looking around the Astak forum and preparing my Calibre library.

I do have a couple of questions. I understand it can read my DRM Sony books/epub books which is fab, but can it read .mobi books?

It looks like it comes with a US power adaptor. I am in the UK, so can I use a travel power converter or will I need to charge it from my PC?

I have noticed there is a lot of discussion on the forum about different firmware versions -- will it come with the most up-to-date version or will I need to download it?

Thanks for your help!
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
Hi All

I was one of the winners of a Pocket Pro in the recent MR competition!! Thank you so much Astak and Robertb -- it looks to be a great reader.

While I wait for it to arrive, I have been looking around the Astak forum and preparing my Calibre library.

I do have a couple of questions. I understand it can read my DRM Sony books/epub books which is fab, but can it read .mobi books?
Yes,
Non-DRM mobi is supported on the PEz.
As I understand, there is NO device that is allowed to support Adobe DRM (used on the PEz) and another DRM.

Quote:
It looks like it comes with a US power adaptor. I am in the UK, so can I use a travel power converter or will I need to charge it from my PC?
The charger voltage input is OK for the UK (and the rest of the world ), you will need a simple prongs adapter.

Quote:
I have noticed there is a lot of discussion on the forum about different firmware versions -- will it come with the most up-to-date version or will I need to download it?

Thanks for your help!
Firmware as Shipped will probably be the Ancient, original release and defiantly should be upgraded to at least the Dec 2009 Astak version.
As you noted, there is a lot of conflicting results that simply have not been nailed down as "the cause". If you are having problems, Astak support expects that you are using Astak FW. IMHO Give the unit a good run using Astak FW before trying other (brands of) FW.

Some rather solid PEz facts.
1)A few SD cards consume power when they should not, changing the card model cured the problem.

2)A few computers USB chips do not play nice in USB2 mode transfers (disable USB2 mode or switch to port on another chip brand.).

3)The PEz is prone to crankiness on low battery charge. Charge for at least 12 hours the first few times and leave "on charge" an hour or so after the LED turns solid green/un-plug symbol appears.

You already came to the right place for advice: MR
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Freckles

Thanks so much theducks!

I will get an adaptor and plan to give it a long charge before use. I'll upgrade to the Dec 2009 firmware and see how it goes.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I am glad that you won!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
Thanks so much theducks!

I will get an adaptor and plan to give it a long charge before use. I'll upgrade to the Dec 2009 firmware and see how it goes.
Dear Freckles:

The Ducks did a great job on answering your questions and is exactly right.

The reason that the device comes with the old firmware is that these devices are computer-specific. If Astak did the most recent firmware upgrade for you it would tie to our computer and not yours. It is not that we are lazy or anything... but it needs to recognize your computer.

Please read the FAQ sheet on: www.theEZreader.com under "support". It will really be of help to you and is updated often.

Yes, charge 10-12 hours when you first receive it (even when the green light comes on keep charging) and always recharge when the battery charge life meter shows a little less than 1/2 full. Do NOT drain the battery.

Welcome to our merry band of Astak lovers!!

Bob
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Freckles

Thanks so much for your welcome. I am looking forward to contributing to the forum.

(I went to the Astak website, but I can't view it as I use Chrome on my netbook and Flash doesn't work on it. So will check later on my PC which has Internet Explorer.)

Once my new reader arrives, I may well come back with further questions!
Advert