Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Help/Sony_600's won't charge

I've purchased 3 Sony PRA 600's in the past 2 days that will not take a charge or have the triangle error symbol after charging 12 hours or more.
I'm using the mini USP cord supplied with the reader and there is nothing wrong with my USP port. Any ideas..? The reset button does not resolved this. Thanks. ps I really want the larger Sony over the Nook and Best Buy is not looking forward to seeing me walk in again....
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, dixieknits.

I read that using the USB on the computer can actually drain the battery when left connected and the computer goes into sleep mode or shuts down. I only use the USB to top it off when loading books.

Have you tried using a mains (wall)charger? It takes less that 4 hours to do a complete charge, and it sound like you really need a full charge.

You can purchase the Sony official one or get the Sony PSP charger. You can even find the PSP pretty cheap at a Game Stop store. I do full charges about every 2 weeks with the wall charger.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I have returned the last one and am researching.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What dreams said.

The problem is almost certainly that the battery is very low. When it's near flat, you can't charge it from the USB port; you need a wall-wart charger with a proper barrel connector. Sony sells one, overpriced of course (I only got mine because I had a gift card), and I've heard that the one for the Sony PSP handheld game will work as well. Search the forums for sony wall charger and you'll find recommendations and links.

Wall chargers with USB output will not work (I've tried). And yes, if the USB port the Reader is plugged into is not providing power (either because the computer has gone into sleep mode or because it's an unpowered hub) the Reader will drain its battery trying valiantly to power the computer!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
dixieknits
Addict

Thanks for the info. I feel that Sony should have been the one to tell me this in some literature furnished in the box and also to 5 other folks this past week at one Best Buys Store . Acutally,they should have furnished us all with working equipment to be able to use the reader.
Maybe I was lucky.. .The fonts are not that sharp and the screen could be lighter. I have a cheapie JetBook, being sent back for return/repair (USB device cannot be read, but I can read on the SD card) and they were great about an exchange.
Next one will have a lighter screen and better documentation.Thanks for the support on this forum.. Now I 'm thinking of Kindle or Nook. Nook just dropped it's wifi price to $149.
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sony is possibly the worst reading device company but they're selling the best device. So, you can get a second-rate device with great support, or you can get a great device with ... us.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Sony is possibly the worst reading device company but they're selling the best device. So, you can get a second-rate device with great support, or you can get a great device with ... us.
Mobileread is the only way to turn for tech support with e-readers.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote