Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Barnsy
Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
ePUB and deflate/gzip

Hi All,

I thought I'd just share with you something I encountered recently when adding ePUB files for download on my website (Promotional link removed - MODERATOR]. Maybe it might help someone in the future.

My site is running ASP.NET and is using .NET to deflate/gzip content. This included downloaded files (PDF, ePUB and Mobi). To my surprise, it seems that deflate was dropping the last 4 bytes on the ePUB files. I didn't bother open the ePUB files with a hex editor to see what the last 4 bytes were but in notepad they looked like blanks (whitespace). When trying to load the ePUB files into calibre I was told that they weren't valid zip files. Funny enough, if I renamed the files .zip, winzip would extract them just fine. Oh well.

Anyways, long story short, I stopped using deflate/gzip for my download files and the problem is solved.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-10-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Barnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There isn't much point in using deflate on EPUb since EPUB is zipped anyway.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
Barnsy
Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Barnsy can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Good to know it won't affect my bandwidth too badly.

Thanks, by-the-way for calibre - it's Great! I will be making a donation once I get a little closer to being in the black
Barnsy is offline   Reply With Quote