Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 10-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #1
Jahlon
Jahlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Server but read-only?

I have been using Calibre for years, and recently I've been looking for a way to share my ebook library with others. I set up my Calibre Content Server and I can access it externally, however I have one issue with it - when logged in as a user, I can add, delete, and edit books. I don't want to give others the ability to do that - I really just want to provide a way for others to read books in my library, but NOT to edit or change anything. Is there a way to do this? It doesn't seem obvious to me, and if there isn't that makes this a no-go for me.

I have also thought about using Kavita, however I decided to use Calibre Server mainly because I can use Calibre Companion on my Kindle Fire to access my library and read through the app (haven't tried it yet though). Of course, I could always still use Kavita and use the web browser, but not sure how good Kindle's web browser is, so I gravitated more towards something that has an app. I'm also not sure if using Kavita means completely ditching Calibre, or if there's a way to use both together. If anyone has any input as to Kavita vs. Calibre Server, that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Jahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Sharing over the net->User accounts->Allow X to make changes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2022, 06:13 AM   #3
Jahlon
Jahlon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences->Sharing over the net->User accounts->Allow X to make changes
Wow, thank you...turns out it was kinda obvious!
Jahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 01:13 PM   #4
Sud0
Sud0 began at the beginning.

Calibre version 6.29.0

- Require username and password to access content server -> checked
- Exactly one user account with password created
- Allow user XXX to make changes - unchecked
- Allow un-authenticated connections from specific IP addresses to make changes - empty
- Allow un-authenticated local connections to make changes - unchecked

After starting content server and login to account i stil see buttons to:
- add new book
- delete book
- edit book metadata

Sud0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sud0 View Post
Calibre version 6.29.0

- Require username and password to access content server -> checked
- Exactly one user account with password created
- Allow user XXX to make changes - unchecked
- Allow un-authenticated connections from specific IP addresses to make changes - empty
- Allow un-authenticated local connections to make changes - unchecked

After starting content server and login to account i stil see buttons to:
- add new book
- delete book
- edit book metadata

I think the buttons are visible, but if the user clicks on them, they'll get a message they aren't allowed to make changes. (I could be wrong, as it's been a while since I used a read-only account with the content server).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
Sud0
Sud0 began at the beginning.

You are right Sirtel. Thank you very much ;-)
Sud0 is offline   Reply With Quote