Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-11-2023, 04:08 PM   #1
FicDragon
FicDragon began at the beginning.

Device: Andriod tablet
Way to automatically change code identies to characters on import?

Hello!

I just noticed today that when I import a file with a title containing an ampersand, it defaults to & instead of & in the title column- so "Mutt & Jeff" looks like "Mutt & Jeff".

I don't remember this being a thing before I updated from 5.29 to 6.28. Is there a box I need to (un)check or a code I need to add in order for characters to be "normalized"?

Thanks so much!

P.s. I've added a search and replace in bulk convert to change out the & for a &, I'm just hoping for an automatic way of doing it.

Last edited by FicDragon; 10-11-2023 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Adding info
FicDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What sort of file, i.e. format.

And what's in the relevant fields of Preferences->Add Books->Reading metadata:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-12 082025.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	204232

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
FicDragon

An epub file usually. I checked that preferences page and I have that checked as well, but it's still not converting on import. The title is correct on the book info panel to the right, but the title on the grid still shows the & instead of a "&"

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-11 174023.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	204233

Last edited by FicDragon; 10-11-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added screenshot
Old 10-11-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What method is set in Preferences: adding Books?
Is read metadata from file contents ticked? It may be that the book is coded WRONG
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #5
FicDragon

This is what I have on the Adding Books page:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-11 175507.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	204234

This wasn't a problem - at least I don't remember it being an issue - before I did that major update. I'm just wondering if something changed and how I can "fix" it.

I've been getting the files in the same place for years, so I doubt that it's a file issue.. I mean, maybe? But it seems odd that it would crop up now..
Advert
Old 10-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Open the epub in the Book editor and have a look at the title element in the opf file

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-12 101750.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	204243

Could be that it is encoded in there.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:56 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Open the book with the editor, then look at the BOOKS (not the one in Calibre) OPF. I bet'cha
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:51 AM   #8
FicDragon

Hi! I'll check tonight when I finally get off and back home.

Thanks for the replies!