Notices

Old 12-20-2022, 02:28 AM   #1
Encomb
Encomb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo Glo Network Connection Error

Hello All,
Great site here
I have just recovered my glo from an image i got here, but my network connection is not
functioning. Its 2.1.2 firmware.
My problem is I don't have a windows machine currently, so no Kobo desktop app.
My e reader is visible in calibre and linux mint. I have a kobo account but no way to sign in.
I had to copy someone else's sqlite file to bypass registration. (my sql db I could not read)
Can someone direct me how to sideload the current firmware to get functioning wifi,
I have no problem with registering eventually
I have the current file can someone tell me where to put Koboroot tgz

Thanks in advance

Ps I'm new to linux mint(love it!)
Encomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:00 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest you install 4.34 firmware and then see what happens. 2.1.2 is really old and could have who know what problems.

You can download the 4.34 firmware from https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html and manually install.

To manually install, unzip the fimware ZIP and put all of the files in the .kobo directory on your Kobo. If you need to, use a friend's Windows computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
Encomb

Thank you for quick response
My Kobo Glo did not like the jump directly to 4.34, it tried to update then just hung and crashed with the black screen and white dotted lines.
The good news is that I was able to load my library anyway with calibre.
For now it's all good and hopefully when I have access to a Windows machine I can update via Kobo app
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all

PS: Calibre has got to be one of the greatest open source software's of all time!
Old 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encomb View Post
Thank you for quick response
My Kobo Glo did not like the jump directly to 4.34, it tried to update then just hung and crashed with the black screen and white dotted lines.
The good news is that I was able to load my library anyway with calibre.
For now it's all good and hopefully when I have access to a Windows machine I can update via Kobo app
Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all
I'd suggest trying to upgrade to 3.19.5761 and then to 4.34. If you go to pgaskin's Kobo Firmware Downloads page and click on the Other versions button on the Kobo Glo line, you can download the older versions from the links displayed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encomb View Post
PS: Calibre has got to be one of the greatest open source software's of all time!
Truth!

Good luck and a Merry Christmas!
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
Encomb

Thanks David, I will try that.

Cheers,
Thomas
Advert
Old 12-21-2022, 01:19 AM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I second DNSB's suggestion.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
Rugbyfan1986
Rugbyfan1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Encomb,

If you connect it to a computer running the kobo desktop it will update itself automatically.
Rugbyfan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
Encomb

Thanks Everyone,
@Geek1011 DSNB has been super solid for me, and will follow through with his advice ASAP.
@Rubyfan my windows machine's hard drive is full (why Windows10 needs most of a 32g ssd is beyond me) I'm running Linux mint dual boot, so no kobo app for it AFAIK.
I will try DSNB's suggestion over the holidays when I get a chance but for now my Kobo Glo has my 200 book ePub Calibre Library with perfect metadata installed��

Thanks to All,

Merry Christmas and Happy Reading

Tom
Old 04-24-2023, 08:05 PM   #9
Encomb

Hello All
I know this is a fairly old thread but i thought i would post an update in case anyone else was having similar issues.

I used a fellow members sql file to bypass the connection error and have been happily reading away using the 2.12 firmware.

I saw that a mandatory update was coming and I thought would finally update to 3.19 and success .. wifi was working and all my books were still there. (I copied the Zip file into .kobo skipping over the linux 32 error).

I was so pleased, i thought would jump to 4.41. That, however, resulted in the black screen with white line syndrome. (major fail)

I then proceed to pull the SD card and reinstall 3.19, which wiped my library.
Calibre to the rescue, but took a long time to reload all my books
Anyway that is where i stand

3.19 is working but seems very slow
If any of the gurus have any suggestions, that would be great!

I really want to use my pocket and Libby accounts! (which is why I wanted WIFI connection in the very beginning of this adventure)

Thanks for a great site

Happy reading