Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
CheeseJam
CheeseJam began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Lightbulb Table of Contents Error when Converting from AZW3 -> EPUB

Amazon will no longer allow you to email MOBI files to your Kindle, as discussed in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346530 EPUBs are now able to be emailed, however. I have a few AZW3 files (no DRM) that I am trying to convert to EPUB, then email to a Kindle. When converting from AZW3 to EPUB, no error occurs. However, when trying to email to Kindle, it fails for every AZW3 -> EPUB converted book.

I've learned a good way to find out if an EPUB is going to fail to get emailed to a Kindle is to load it in Kindle Previewer (https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Previe...de=21381691011) first and see if any errors occur. In my case, whenever I do this with an AZW3 -> EPUB converted book, the Kindle Previewer program consistently throws out the same errors related to the table of contents (ToC). Ex:

-E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none)... (I checked, and there were no "display: none" CSS styles in the file)
-E24001: The table of content could not be built...
-W14001: Hyperlink not resolved:...

I have tried various fixes to the ToC with no luck. The only thing that I have done to successfully remove this error is to completely remove the ToC with Calibre's editor. I have tried playing with ToC conversion output settings in Calibre with no success on fixing this problem. Any tips? Thanks!
CheeseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take the converted ePub, load it into Calibre's Editor use the error checker and epubcheck to check for errors. Once there are no errors, use Modify Utilities to make sure it's UTF-8 and then try the email.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #3
CheeseJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take the converted ePub, load it into Calibre's Editor use the error checker and epubcheck to check for errors. Once there are no errors, use Modify Utilities to make sure it's UTF-8 and then try the email.
Thanks for the response! I have the EpubChecker and Modify EPUB plugins for Calibre.

When I use Calibre's built in checker on these EPUBs, some errors do get thrown. I click to automatically fix all errors and no errors pop up after that. The EpubChecker pluggin also does not detect errors after this. When I then convert to UTF-8 using the Modify EPUB plugin, and then try to email the file to my Kindle, it still fails. The same errors pop up in Kindle Previewer.

This process is repeatable for every AZW3 -> EPUB converted file I've tried. Not sure what's going on, any ideas?
Old 07-24-2022, 10:41 AM   #4
CheeseJam

Other than deleting the ToC to remove this problem, I've also noticed that converting the EPUB->MOBI->EPUB fixes this problem. I assume this is not a great solution though.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
One possibility is that your book contains a link to the cover inside of the TOC. If calibre updates the cover during conversion the TOC can be broken in that case. Try turning off the conversion option to replace the cover and see if that helps.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #6
CheeseJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
One possibility is that your book contains a link to the cover inside of the TOC. If calibre updates the cover during conversion the TOC can be broken in that case. Try turning off the conversion option to replace the cover and see if that helps.
I just tried turning off all cover related conversion options and converted the AZW3 -> EPUB. After that, I followed your other suggested steps as well. I am unfortunately getting the same errors in Kindle Previewer.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #7
CheeseJam

Okay, I think I made some progress on the problem here after some Googling...

Bear with me here, but I stumbled upon this barely coherent post: https://topic.alibabacloud.com/a/kin..._31182897.html

The important sentence that caught my eye was "After extracting the Epub file, the ID of the link to the document exists, but the ID value 0-C6789AC79B5C427B831DE25D238BF6FA value corresponding to the tag is part0000.html <body> The body needs to be modified to a DIV tag kindlegen only to know, while the extra layer of a <body>"

With my limited knowledge of this stuff, for every link referenced in the ToC (for the book I was testing with), the <body> html tag had an "id=xxx". If I changed all of these <body> tags to <div> tags in Sigil, then Signal would offer to automatically repair the HTML files to add back body tags. My HTML files would start like this:

<body id="xxx" class="calibre">
</body>

and end up like this:

<body>
<div id="xxx" class="calibre">
</div>
</body>

This fixed things! I am not sure if I understand why exactly, but I guess the Kindle converter to epub doesn't like the ID in the body tag?

Anyway, upon further testing, I did find some AZW3->EPUB conversions that did not have this problem, so it isn't necessary an issue with the conversion. Sorry about that! I assume there isn't some conversion setting in Calibre to automatically fix this very specific issue I discovered, yeah?

Last edited by CheeseJam; 07-24-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:06 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there is no setting in calibre that will do this automatically. ids on <body> are perfectly valid. This is a bug in amazons epub intake software. Indeed, while unlikely, wrapping the contents of <body> in an extra <div> can actually change formatting of the text and so really shouldn't be done automatically.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:08 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@CheeseJam why are you converting your Kindle eBook to ePub to email to Amazon so you can sync when you can just sync these eBooks direct from Amazon?

One thing you can try if you are intent on doing this is to convert the KF8 eBook to ePub using the KindleUnpack plugin. Then you can try emailing that to Amazon and see how you get on.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #10
CheeseJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, there is no setting in calibre that will do this automatically. ids on <body> are perfectly valid. This is a bug in amazons epub intake software. Indeed, while unlikely, wrapping the contents of <body> in an extra <div> can actually change formatting of the text and so really shouldn't be done automatically.
Good to know, thanks! I suspected it might be a bug with Amazon's converter and not an epub error itself.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #11
xav
xav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Hi,
I've realized I have no TOC (Sections/ Articles from top menu) in the Kindle only when fetching news from Calibre and sending it in EPUB format (through email). When I open this EPUB from Calibre or Kindle App in windows or Android, TOC is displayed.

if I clearly understand: Amazon does not support MOBI anymore, and is pushing its users to the EPUB format, which is not correctly supported in its Kindle ?
Is there a quick fix to this, may i complain to Amazon...?
xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Complain to amazon and send your news by usb cable or content server download, not email.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:07 AM   #13
xav
xav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
I configured Calibre back to send in MOBI format and it works fine again for the moment.
I've also sent an email to Amazon to report the EPUB TOC problem (other users might have done so before me as well).
Amazon sends an email alerting that MOBI will no longer work from 20th aug on, let's hope they'll correct their EPUB problem before their own deadline
xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:07 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav View Post
I configured Calibre back to send in MOBI format and it works fine again for the moment.
I've also sent an email to Amazon to report the EPUB TOC problem (other users might have done so before me as well).
Amazon sends an email alerting that MOBI will no longer work from 20th aug on, let's hope they'll correct their EPUB problem before their own deadline
Of you can get used to no longer syncing.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xav View Post
I know you wrote that with a smiley but for those holding out hope it is extremely unlikely that Amazon will update conversion software that has been frozen for almost a decade in order to fix a problem that only affects books not purchased from Amazon.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote