Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-04-2021, 11:53 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Plugboard: Removing Unicode characters that Kobo can't render

I have this plugboard for "series" in KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED:

Code:
{series:'re_group($,"([^.]+)\.","[[$]]: ")'}
I forgot exactly why I'm using the re_group.

Anyways, I have a fanfic that has some fancy unicode characters for some effect:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-05 00_48_29-Window.png
Views:	148
Size:	1,012 Bytes
ID:	189116

This is how it appears on the Kobo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210905_004501.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	189117

I'm guessing there's no real way for the Kobo to deal with this, so is there anything I can do on Calibre side without changing the series? Is there a way to strip out the Unicode without leaving behind the dash and I?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-05-2021 at 03:30 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Could you give us the actual source string, not an image of it? And could you give us what you want as the destination string?

A brute force solution would be to use a plugboard that looks for offending series names and returns the desired series name. This isn't too painful if you don't have many of them.

EDIT: I wonder what the 'transliterate' formatter function would do with your string ...

Last edited by chaley; 09-05-2021 at 05:10 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Assuming it posts correctly on the forum, the characters are ᕼ ᗩ ᒪ ᖴ - ᒪ I ᖴ ᗴ.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, 'transliterate' doesn't do anything useful. For the string ''ᕼ ᗩ ᒪ ᖴ - ᒪ I ᖴ ᗴ'' it returns 'h po ma we - ma I we ga'.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

A example plugboard template that returns what I think you want follows. It returns a special string if the series matches some value, otherwise it returns the series. If the series is empty it returns the empty string.
Code:
program:
	s = $series;
#	s = 'ᕼ ᗩ ᒪ ᖴ - ᒪ I ᖴ ᗴ';
	first_non_empty(
		if s == 'ᕼ ᗩ ᒪ ᖴ - ᒪ I ᖴ ᗴ' then 'Half-life' fi,
# 		add more lines here if needed
		s
	)
Advert
Old 09-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You can also use user defined template functions to do one of two things:
  1. Remove non unicode characters as you requested:
    Code:
    def evaluate(self, formatter, kwargs, mi, locals, val):
    	string_encode = val.encode("ascii", "ignore")
    	string_decode = string_encode.decode()
    	return string_decode
    you can use the new function like this:

Code:
    program:
    	s = 'ᕼ ᗩ ᒪ ᖴ - ᒪ I ᖴ ᗴ';
    	remove_unicode_characters(s)
  2. Make lookup replacement for unicode characters:
    Code:
    def evaluate(self, formatter, kwargs, mi, locals, val):
    	lookup = {
    	    'ᕼ': 'H',
    	    'ᗩ': 'A',
    	    'ᒪ': 'L',
    	    'ᖴ': 'F',
    	    'ᗴ': 'E'
    	}
    	new_string = ''
    	for ch in val:
    	    new_string += lookup.get(ch, ch)
    	return new_string
    You need to expand the lookup dictionary (highlighted in blue) to include any additional unicode characters you want.

You can use this new function as follows

Code:
    program:
    	s = 'ᕼ ᗩ ᒪ ᖴ - ᒪ I ᖴ ᗴ';
    	unicode_lookup(s)

Notes
  • To add the new functions described above: preferences > template functions > template functions tab > copy-paste in the program code box and enter the name of the function (highlighted above in green) in the function box.
  • For both functions the argument count should be set to 1.

Last edited by capink; 09-05-2021 at 04:16 PM.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Thanks