Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Unhappy My Smart Q7 unit broken after a few hours of use

Loved it for 3 hours, but the plug for the power adapter is busted. There is nothing for my adapter to latch onto inside the hole.

I just plugged it to recharge it after I got it, which was the only time the plug worked. Didn't have to force it in, but something must have happened for the plug to break inside the unit. Shined a flash light into the opening, and there is nothing there. The plug must be very fragile.

Hooking up the device to my computer with the USB cable does not recharge either. I guess only cell phones have that feature.

Will email the seller and we will see what will happen. I guess I will be the first warranty test case Will keep you updated.

Update: Should say the "socket" is broken, not the plug. Thanks to pdurrant for the correction.

Last edited by profnachos; 06-18-2009 at 01:22 AM.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Sounds to me you lucked out on a dud one. First your card reader now your power supply.

Hopefully Eletroworld comes through for you.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Good luck.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
profnachos
Connoisseur

Actually the card reader is fine. I just didn't know that the label side was supposed to be down.

Got an email back from Eletroworld, and the guy completely missed my point. Here is what he wrote:

some type of Nokia adapter is fit for it! you can choose and buy

Wrote him back to say that there is nothing wrong with the adapter. The plug on the device, which I thought was pretty clear in my email.

Am I not making myself clear in my original post? I pretty much repeated what I wrote here. This is not looking good.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
skyfish
Enthusiast
skyfish has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK, Win8 tablet, iPad
if all other efforts fail, this might help:

smartq7-apart-images
skyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I had this happen on an eBookwise-1150. The adapter connector on the device's mainboard fell off (was soldered poorly) when I tried to plug it in. This happens on small devices sometimes. You can try to send it back, or you can try to open the device and solder the connector back to the main board. It is very tricky and takes a steady hand, but that is exactly what I did with my eBookwise-1150. Since you just purchased the Q7, and this is really a manufacturer's defect, I would get it replaced.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I had this happen on an eBookwise-1150. The adapter connector on the device's mainboard fell off (was soldered poorly) when I tried to plug it in. This happens on small devices sometimes. You can try to send it back, or you can try to open the device and solder the connector back to the main board. It is very tricky and takes a steady hand, but that is exactly what I did with my eBookwise-1150. Since you just purchased the Q7, and this is really a manufacturer's defect, I would get it replaced.
The trick right now is getting them to understand the issue at hand. The guy who mans the email help desk does not appear to have a good command of English. My brief description of the problem completely went over his head.

Even if I get past that point, given that the company is a major ocean away, I wonder what process they have set up to take in the unit, repair and send it back. The shipping for the unit was $40, which is nearly 1/4 of the unit's cost. A round trip would be twice as much, and who picks up the tab?

That said, it is a great product and I love it. I may try to find somebody to try to solder the connector back.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnachos View Post
Wrote him back to say that there is nothing wrong with the adapter. The plug on the device, which I thought was pretty clear in my email.
I'd suggest you say that the power socket on the device is faulty. Talking about a plug will only make them think of the external adapter.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd suggest you say that the power socket on the device is faulty. Talking about a plug will only make them think of the external adapter.
You are right. I misspoke.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
wermy
wermy began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
If it were me, I'd solder it or find a capable friend to do it for me. You're right -- shipping costs and delays would be pretty costly, when it may be a simple soldering job. Good luck.
wermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
In the case you are soldering it, take a look at http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/wp-con...2009/06/11.jpg. The power socket/connector may not have fallen completely off (if you can hear it inside jiggling around it is clearly off). It could be that a solder will be even easier if a piece of it is still connected to the board. With some care, it shouldn't be too hard, especially if you have soldered before. Good luck and keep us posted!
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
It's probably crappy soldering, the motherboard pictures linked above shows very poor soldering for most external components.

You should send to their support guys some close shots of your damaged device, a picture is worth a thousand words.

At worse, If they want you to pay for return postage (I hope not as it's a clear DOA), you can just resolder it or bring it to an electronic repair shop as already say above.

If there isn't any "warranty void if removed" sticker over the screw or inside, a clean repair would certainly not be detectable over the original sub average soldering, thus not invalidating the warranty if you have more serious issue later on.

http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/wp-con...2009/06/25.jpg

Last edited by Faenad; 06-18-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
profnachos
Connoisseur

Thank you for the picture. I plan on taking it 0to my friend with a solderer tomorrow night.

Last edited by profnachos; 06-18-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #14
profnachos
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post

If there isn't any "warranty void if removed" sticker over the screw or inside, a clean repair would certainly not be detectable over the original sub average soldering, thus not invalidating the warranty if you have more serious issue later on.

http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/wp-con...2009/06/25.jpg
There is a sticker, but it just has just the company logo on it.

I believe the picture is that of a socket for ear phones, not for a power adapter.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
You're right. The power socket would be the one at the opposite end. There is no close shot of it but pict 11 above and http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/wp-con...2009/06/13.jpg show it.

As for the sticker, if it block the opening of the device and can't be peeled off and replaced after without damage, you are probably voiding your warranty by removing it.

If so you should keep contacting both Eletroworld and smartdevices and wait to see what they proposes to you.

Last edited by Faenad; 06-18-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote