Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2023, 07:30 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Overdrive on a Kobo

Is there a way to see available library ebooks on the reader?

My mother is an avid reader, and I am having troubles keeping up with her; I put the ebooks on her reader. I was hoping she could learn to use Overdrive on her reader (a Forma, up to date firmware).

I setup the Overdrive account, but the UI looks to rudimentary to be functional for her needs. Our library doesn't get a lot new copies, so there is always a long wait for newish titles. Ideally, she would need a way to view available titles. I don't see any way to filter available titles?

Ideally, a UI similar to the Overdrive site: filter by genre, ebooks, available, ...

Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:54 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your mother has a smartphone, one thing you can do is use the Libby app to notify her when eBooks are available and soon to expire.

If she has a tablet or computer, use that to browse and borrow and use the Kobo to download.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
Parsley
Enthusiast
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Clara HD
You can search by genre in the Kobo overdrive interface. Just search for "fantasy" or whatever instead of the author or title in the search bar. My library also sets up a rotating set of collections of recommended books of different sorts, which is very nice for browsing.

The UI will also only show ebooks which the Kobo can fulfill for you (which is not exactly the same thing as Libby's "epubs" category, but is useful if you don't want to mess around with download & transfer). I don't know any way to explicitly filter by availability, unfortunately, but "most popular" seems to bias the top of the list towards available books.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 07:30 PM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If your mother has a smartphone, one thing you can do is use the Libby app to notify her when eBooks are available and soon to expire.

If she has a tablet or computer, use that to browse and borrow and use the Kobo to download.
I asked about on the reader.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:23 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I asked about on the reader.
It doesn't look like there's any way to filter by availability on the Kobo. The best I could do was filter by new books and work my way down, looking for books that said "Borrow" instead of "Place on Hold."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2023, 06:40 AM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Overdrive on a Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Is there a way to see available library ebooks on the reader?

My mother is an avid reader, and I am having troubles keeping up with her; I put the ebooks on her reader. I was hoping she could learn to use Overdrive on her reader (a Forma, up to date firmware).

I setup the Overdrive account, but the UI looks to rudimentary to be functional for her needs. Our library doesn't get a lot new copies, so there is always a long wait for newish titles. Ideally, she would need a way to view available titles. I don't see any way to filter available titles?

Ideally, a UI similar to the Overdrive site: filter by genre, ebooks, available, ...

Thank you.

The scarcity of ebooks at the local library gets worse the more urban your area because demand increases. Unlike with paper books which can last for years, ebooks have a built in expiration date forced by the publishers, so libraries have to spend ebook money rebuying the best sellers to meet demand. That doesn’t leave much money for less popular titles, so there’s always a wait.

As for Overdrive on the Kobo, I’m afraid the others are correct. There is no way to filter for availability. It’s a shocking shortcoming, which is why we highly recommend Libby. That will filter for availability and genre and many others. You could search for the books for her using Libby on your phone. Anything you borrow using the app would instantly sync to her Kobo (except for the rare Kindle only book.)

Your mother might have to resign herself to flipping through OD’s curated lists on the Kobo. At least they clearly mark available titles with “borrow”. I wish I had better news for you.

Last edited by Cootey; 06-12-2023 at 03:10 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, it's annoying when you discover a series but not sure you'd like it enough to buy and book1 (or even 1 & 2) is gone. My Librarian apologised and said it's the publisher.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote