Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes - As An Ebook?

I have to admit - I am curious about this.

Fans of Sherlock Holmes are probably well acquainted with the two 'Annotated' compilations of the Sherlock Holmes canon: the grand original from William S. Baring-Gould, and the later edition from Leslie S. Klinger -- massive slip-cased volumes loaded with factual, and whimsical, notations throughout, filling the margins on most of the over-sized pages. And tons of illustrations.

Now there is a pre-order available on Amazon for a Kindle edition of the Klinger annotated volume of short stories: http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Sher...herlock+holmes - for a hefty $25.14 (650 pages). There is no information specific to the ebook version yet on the page.

So, I wonder, how, or if, the annotations will be presented on the pages ....

I'll probably download a sample when it becomes available, but (given the recent spate of TEXT ONLY ebook editions) I don't realistically expect to discover that the annotations have been preserved as such. Maybe as linked footnotes?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting - thanks, Pooh. I have the 3-volume Klinger set, and it really is something that can only be done well in printed form with the current state of eBook technology, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have the same query. I have the books in print but am interested in an ebook edition. In particular, just how the annotations are handled.

If anyone has one of these ebook volumes, I would be interested in your review of the ebook.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I have volumes 1 an 2 of these. I won't offer a review, bu I can say without hesitation that they're great.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Excellent -- I will use the Kobo 90% discount coupon to pick up volume 3 I think.

Did you feel the annotations were pretty easy to use? Were they shown at the bottom of each page or as footnotes?

Thanks again Dr. Drib --
Advert
Old 08-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Different devices handle the annotations differently. On Fire tablets, tapping the annotation number acts like footnotes -- taking you to a separate page where all the annotations are listed numerically. On e-ink readers (Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite) tapping the annotation number opens a box on top of the page with the annotation content.

I don't know how annotations are handled on Android or IOS reading apps.

Obviously, the illustrations/photographs render much better on the tablet.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Different devices handle the annotations differently. On Fire tablets, tapping the annotation number acts like footnotes -- taking you to a separate page where all the annotations are listed numerically. On e-ink readers (Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite) tapping the annotation number opens a box on top of the page with the annotation content.

The Kindle app on iOS will take you to a separate page and then take you back.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

Not sure on this specific book, but I have found with my Voyage that some Kindle books open a popup for annotations and some take you to a different page. I haven't figured out a pattern to it (haven't really looked) but have seen both behaviors depending on the book. (I know Small Gods takes you to a different page and I think Witches Abroad had popups.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Sherlock Holmes Book Not the annotated but a book relating to the books. Amazon US

Quote:
The Sherlock Holmes Book, the latest in DK's award-winning Big Ideas Simply Explained series, tackles the most "elementary" of subjects--the world of Sherlock Holmes, as told by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Sherlock Holmes Book is packed with witty illustrations, clear graphics, and memorable quotes that make it the perfect Sherlock Holmes guide, covering every case of the world's greatest detective, from A Study in Scarlet to The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place, placing the sorties in a wider context. Stories include at-a-glance flowcharts that show how Holmes reaches his conclusions through deductive reasoning, and character guides provide handy reference for readers and an invaluable resource for fans of the Sherlock Holmes films and TV series.

The Sherlock Holmes Book holds a magnifying glass to the world of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's legendary detective.
It looks good and is only $1.99 for a copy.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #10
Larla
Addict

I got the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes volume 1 from Kobo for $3.20 (90% off). The annotations work well. Small numbers indicate an annotation and when clicked, a popup window displays the annotation. The window is dismissed by clicking Close.

Even though the annotation numbers are small I have never had any problem clicking on them using my Kobo Glo HD reader.