Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Page Numbering Issue

Recently, several of my books (kepubs) have an issue with page numbers. The numbers jump non-incrementally from one number to the next. Sometimes, it corrects with each chapter or just randomly.

Is this a conversion or formatting problem? Or something else?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Recently, several of my books (kepubs) have an issue with page numbers. The numbers jump non-incrementally from one number to the next. Sometimes, it corrects with each chapter or just randomly.

Is this a conversion or formatting problem? Or something else?
Do you mean that the page numbers are not in order (e.g. 1,2,3,100,101,4,5,6,...), or that they are in order but there are large gaps (e.g. 1,2,3,10,11,12, 25,26.27,...)?

One way that the page numbers can be out of order is if the order of the items in the spine section of the book's OPF don't match their order in the TOC. I have seen this in some books where the publisher has obviously moved some of the backmatter to the front of the book in the TOC, but forgotten to update the spine.

The large gaps between numbers can also be caused by the problem above, but I think it can also be caused by other mismatches between the TOC and spine, such as happens when there are multiple chapters per internal file, or items that appear in the spine but not in the TOC

Beware that if you are creating KePubs with Calibre then none of these things are checked, so you'll need to fix the problems in the original ePub yourself before converting to KePub. If you get the KePub from Kobo then some of the problems are corrected automatically during Kobo's process of converting to KePub (e.g. filling in missing TOC entries with "untitled chapter"), but others, such as the TOC order not matching the OPF spine order, are not.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-29-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: It is the OPF spine, not the guide, that the NCX TOC must match.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Thanks. Yes, large gaps between updates; page 11 then suddenly page 34 then 55, etc.

Most are self-published either from Amazon or directly from the author's website.

I'm afraid I'll have to live with it as I'm not familiar with editing all of what you said which sounded close to Greek to me.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote