Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Penguin blames likely job losses on rise of ebooks

I thought this was very interesting, especially given it runs counter to Waterstones in the UK removing their eBook sections saying print is making a comeback.

I believe the Penguin version more...

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...losses-penguin
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The article makes it sound like it is our fault for preferring eBooks that these people are going to lose their jobs. It's like trying to guilt us to go back to pBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Waterstones' decision was just a bookshop talking up its product and dismissing another one (ebooks) it never really believed in anyway.

Oh and the article mentions the decision being down to "a fall-off in demand for physical books, and consolidation among publishers". But the latter isn't a headline grabber is it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Note that it's the Union official blaming the rise of ebooks, not Penguin itself.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
No mention in the report of the Merger with Bertelsmann as a possible cause for the "redundancies", of course. Nor do they mention that both giants have been shedding staff with every previously-independent imprint they buy up for over 30 years. Many of whom are now freelancers, enabling a certain cottage industry to eat away market share from the BPHs.

In other words, more of the same incoming.

Oh, and in the US they have already closed two massive facilities in NY and PA, moving their warehousing to a new, smaller facility in Indiana.

Surprisingly, Melville House reported on it and *didn't* blame the folks in Seattle. A first for them.

http://www.mhpbooks.com/penguin-rand...on-warehouses/

As an aside, for those not familiar with Melville house, here is a recent sample of their thinking:

http://www.mhpbooks.com/so-why-did-a...n-a-bookstore/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
There are more writing jobs thanks to ebooks.
And less middleman jobs.
And fewer midlist books that the Author can't keep available.

Boo hoo.

Dry your tears with your draconian contracts, Penguin.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Dry your tears with your draconian contracts, Penguin.
They have no tears to dry. They are giddy that they can lay people off and blame it on someone else. Remember, they also sell ebooks, and heaven knows they could use more copy editors, and tech-savvy marketing people and such to capitalize on the 'rise' if they were willing to pay.

Last edited by ApK; 12-09-2015 at 09:08 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They have no tears to dry. They are giddy that they can lay people off and blame it on someone else. Remember, they also sell ebooks, and heaven knows they could use more copy editors, and tech-savvy marketing people and such to capitalize on the 'rise' if they were willing to pay.
Oh, they don't need to boost staff for that.
They have a full rolodex of ex-staffers turned freelancer/contractor.

The same support system that works for Indies already works for them. That is why they laid them off to start with.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
This reminds me of an email I got last week.
"Hi this is Ellen Perry. If you do not order soon, I will lose my job. Please order so I can keep my job."

Note, I had gotten that email about 3 months ago too and 6 months ago.
I actually called and Ellen is not a real person or at least not there.

Talk about a stupid guilt trip.

Of course the only reason I haven't unsubscribed is to see if they will ever unsubscribe me like they say they will every 4 months.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #10
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
This reminds me of an email I got last week.
"Hi this is Ellen Perry. If you do not order soon, I will lose my job. Please order so I can keep my job."
Tell her you're hoping she'll get out of there, because you need her job.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
US-based companies brag about laying people off. It supports the stock price.

It doesn't seem to me that they are blaming anyone (who would they blame? they are one of the major ebook publishers), just saying print sales are down and they have to cut distribution costs.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't think so. Seen any examples of a company bragging about it?
It's true that if a company is being pressured to cut bloat, they might point to layoffs to show how aggressive they are being in reducing costs, but they don't brag. they always act all unhappy about it and talk about what an unfortunate but necessary step it was.

Quote:
It doesn't seem to me that they are blaming anyone (who would they blame? they are one of the major ebook publishers), just saying print sales are down and they have to cut distribution costs.
Their dispute this year over ebook pricing with Amazon is likely where they will place some blame.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
They could really use people who actually have a clue when it comes to making eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #14
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I didn't know it was quite that bad. But the idea of a "redundancy package" for unionized book warehouse workers does sound a wee bit alien to American ears.

eReading has meant more jobs at Foxconn, semiconductor companies, and eInk, among others. It means fewer jobs in logging, paper-making, printing, retailing, and, yes, materials handling.

All in all, I wish executives would spend their time improving products instead of mergers and acquisitions. But I think that fewer warehouse jobs does have to be part of the eBook revolution, mergers or not.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:43 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Could you provide some links showing the bragging? Thank you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote