Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 03-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
LibroHombre
LibroHombre began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is the best car stereo for playing audiobooks?

I am looking for a replacement car stereo for my wife. I would like to find a unit with the following qualities:

1.) Accepts a USB flash drive in the face of the unit. (a 64GB Mushkin Atom will only stick out 1/4"), as well as play WAV and MP3 CD's.

2.) Knob and buttons that will allow navigation up and down through tiers of a Windows tree file structure, and laterally through folders or files at a given tier.

3.) A display of sufficient length to identify the folders and files displayed.

I went to BestBuy with that 64GB flash drive loaded with 36GB of music and audiobooks. The contents were well within the maximum folder, maximum files per folder, maximum total files, and maximum number of tiers in the tree structure. It was structured as follows:
Music/Album Collection/Album/Song Tracks
Audiobooks/Type(Fiction or Non-Fiction)/Title/Tracks

The sales person could not show me a Kenwood or Pioneer unit that could be easily navigated. I had also used Kenwood Music Editor Light to create a database for the Kenwood units. Basically, all that could be done was to scroll through the entire database at the track level.

I can't believe that there is not a care stereo CD receiver out there that can do what I am looking for. I was led to understand that the only way to do it is by using a separate smart phone or MP3 player connected to the unit by USB or Bluetooth. I have already tried a Satechi Soundfly with the old stereo, and it was too quirky and inconsistent to be worthwhile.

I would appreciate it if anyone can recommend a standalone car stereo that can do what I am looking for. My basic goal is "simplicity for the sake of safety"

Last edited by LibroHombre; 03-06-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Clarity
LibroHombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Honestly? I’d go with a smartphone or MP3 player, and just get a stereo that has an audio-in jack. I've used this setup since 2005, and don't see any reason to go with a complicated car stereo.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Honestly? I’d go with a smartphone or MP3 player, and just get a stereo that has an audio-in jack. I've used this setup since 2005, and don't see any reason to go with a complicated car stereo.
Me too, although I should add that my Mini has an absolutely excellent iPhone interface built in, which gives you full control over your music collection (search/browse by artist, genre, album or track).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Same here. I use an iTouch that connects to my car stereo. Ideally, you want a stereo that supports either car play (if you use an Apple device) or the google equivalent if you use android. My car stereo is pretty good, but doesn't support car play, so I normally just set up a playlist and play that.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Me too, although I should add that my Mini has an absolutely excellent iPhone interface built in, which gives you full control over your music collection (search/browse by artist, genre, album or track).
Ooh, I have a MINI too! Mine is yellow with white stripes.

It's a 2010 model, and has the iPod interface, but I don't think it works with iPhones. I haven't investigated it, I'm lazy and am sticking with using the iPhone instead, for which I have a nice magnetic dashboard mount.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Ooh, I have a MINI too! Mine is yellow with white stripes.

It's a 2010 model, and has the iPod interface, but I don't think it works with iPhones. I haven't investigated it, I'm lazy and am sticking with using the iPhone instead, for which I have a nice magnetic dashboard mount.
It does work with iPhones - you just need the right connecting cable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've found that most modern car stereos that have a USB connector or bluetooth will work fine with an iPhone. Some are more clunky than others though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote