Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Kindle Paperwhite 2 can't re-enter USB Drive mode until reboot

Update #3: I think I might have isolated the cause. I uninstalled VMWare Workstation (which installed some virtual USB drivers and stuff so they your USB devices would work across Windows and your VMs) and so far that seems to have fixed the problem.
I'll have to see if updating to the latest version still causes the Kindle problems, but I don't need VMWare much these days so I'll try that at a later date.

---

Update #2: So the weird USB Drive Mode problem is still happening. I don't have the FitBit Zip's USB syncing dongle plugged in today either so I guess it's not that.

---

Update #1: So it seems the USB dongle that I use for my FitBit Zip to sync with my PC is conflicting with the Kindle somehow and causing the problem below.
This is the second time this dumb dongle has caused a problem with a USB device.

---

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I plug my PW2 into my Windows 7 PC and it goes into USB Drive Mode.
I eject it so that it can continue indexing my eBooks.

Now if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in it will either go to the USB Drive Mode (where it shows a picture of the MicroUSB cable and says to eject it) for 1 second then goes to my homepage OR it just stays on the homepage and starts charging.

If I want it to get back into USB Drive Mode I need to either reboot the PW2 or my PC.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you guys ever find a solution to this? This is the 2nd PW2 I've tried that had this happen.

Also, is it normal behavior to NOT sleep the PW2 when you're charging it? Even after 10+ minutes it doesn't go into sleep mode and the light stays on. I'm charging it using my PC.

Last edited by Outrager; 10-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
Not sure about part II to your question, but I was having a similar problem as you describe in part I and called Kindle support. They acted as though either my drivers in my relatively new MacBook Air needed updating, or it is a cable issue, or punt. I returned it to Best Buy and got a new one that I have not yet tested. I plug it in, it goes into USB mode with the pic of the drive mode, cable and cable end on the cover. If I eject and then pull the cord out, then re-plug it in, the PW2 seems to not want to go back into a recognized drive mode again. Kindle support will get enough calls on this and update something. When we plug in we need the PW2 to go into a drive mode not just charge mode, if I have my nomenclature correct. Glad you posted.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.jeffe58 View Post
Not sure about part II to your question, but I was having a similar problem as you describe in part I and called Kindle support. They acted as though either my drivers in my relatively new MacBook Air needed updating, or it is a cable issue, or punt. I returned it to Best Buy and got a new one that I have not yet tested. I plug it in, it goes into USB mode with the pic of the drive mode, cable and cable end on the cover. If I eject and then pull the cord out, then re-plug it in, the PW2 seems to not want to go back into a recognized drive mode again. Kindle support will get enough calls on this and update something. When we plug in we need the PW2 to go into a drive mode not just charge mode, if I have my nomenclature correct. Glad you posted.
I spoke to Kindle customer support today and he said he gave the case to the Kindle developers to look at and they will call me directly in a few days.

The customer support rep also said he put a reminder on his system to check on it every day until they do which was really nice.

Unfortunately I won't know if it's the Kindle or my computer because they aren't yet going to send me a replacement. So I guess now I'll have to wait for the Kindle devs to give me a call.

The weird thing is my Kindle Keyboard never had this problem, but I recently sold it to get the PW2 so I don't have it anymore to try it again.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
Update #2: So the weird USB Drive Mode problem is still happening. I don't have the FitBit Zip's USB syncing dongle plugged in today either so I guess it's not that.

---

Update #1: So it seems the USB dongle that I use for my FitBit Zip to sync with my PC is conflicting with the Kindle somehow and causing the problem below.
This is the second time this dumb dongle has caused a problem with a USB device.

---

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I plug my PW2 into my Windows 7 PC and it goes into USB Drive Mode.
I eject it so that it can continue indexing my eBooks.

Now if I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in it will either go to the USB Drive Mode (where it shows a picture of the MicroUSB cable and says to eject it) for 1 second then goes to my homepage OR it just stays on the homepage and starts charging.

If I want it to get back into USB Drive Mode I need to either reboot the PW2 or my PC.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you guys ever find a solution to this? This is the 2nd PW2 I've tried that had this happen.

Also, is it normal behavior to NOT sleep the PW2 when you're charging it? Even after 10+ minutes it doesn't go into sleep mode and the light stays on. I'm charging it using my PC.
I stopped using FitBit for the exact same reason, it was conflicting with ANY Hardrive or USB Stick I had plugged in the other USB Slot just next to it. When one of my Stick (64GB), with important data on it, got ruined, I pulled the Fitbit out for good and have had no problems ever since with any of my 3 USB Slots.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
1. Try a different MicroUSB cable.
2. Try plugging it in to a different USB port on your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Outrager
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I stopped using FitBit for the exact same reason, it was conflicting with ANY Hardrive or USB Stick I had plugged in the other USB Slot just next to it. When one of my Stick (64GB), with important data on it, got ruined, I pulled the Fitbit out for good and have had no problems ever since with any of my 3 USB Slots.
I found a combination where the FitBit adapter doesn't conflict with anything anymore. I also tried starting my computer without it plugged in and the Kindle still has this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
1. Try a different MicroUSB cable.
2. Try plugging it in to a different USB port on your PC.
I tried 3 different cables and 4 different USB ports, but still have the problem.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
OK, here's what I see happening. If I connect my PW2 to my MAC when the PW2 is awake, it will go into USB drive mode the first time, but my MAC will not mount the drive on subsequent connections as long as the PW2 is awake. However, if I connect the PW2 to the MAC when the Kindle is asleep, it will go into USB drive mode every time and the MAC will mount it.

Can anyone else reproduce this?
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I have a fitbit adapter plugged into my PC, and I'm not having this problem. My Paperwhite always goes into USB drive mode, and if I eject it through the software but leave it plugged into the USB port, it will go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity.

I would echo Harry's suggestion of trying a different cable, or a different port, or both.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I have a fitbit adapter plugged into my PC, and I'm not having this problem. My Paperwhite always goes into USB drive mode, and if I eject it through the software but leave it plugged into the USB port, it will go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity.
Having received my PW2 today I can confirm that mine is behaving the same as this.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Could it be just the difference between a MAC and a PC? It seems the ones that have the problems have MACs and the other is a PC. Not sure what Harry has.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Could it be just the difference between a MAC and a PC? It seems the ones that have the problems have MACs and the other is a PC. Not sure what Harry has.
I have a PC.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
The OP says they connected their PW2 to a Win 7 PC so...

I'm on Win 8 and and have no problems with the PW2 always going back to USB drive mode when I connect the cable and it also goes to sleep as per usual when charging.

Edit: it could well be though that there's also something affecting those with MACs.

Last edited by Yolina; 10-10-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Outrager
Connoisseur

I think I ruled out the FitBit adapter.

Quote:
Having received my PW2 today I can confirm that mine is behaving the same as this.
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and seeing if it's the same behavior? I tried it once and it didn't have the problem in Safe Mode, but it could have been a one time thing. I'll have to try it again another time to make sure. Even if that's the case I tried booting normally into Windows 7 and using task manager to end process pretty much everything, but that didn't help. I really hope it's not something that would require a fresh install of Windows to fix because I won't go through that right now.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and seeing if it's the same behavior? I tried it once and it didn't have the problem in Safe Mode, but it could have been a one time thing. I'll have to try it again another time to make sure. Even if that's the case I tried booting normally into Windows 7 and using task manager to end process pretty much everything, but that didn't help. I really hope it's not something that would require a fresh install of Windows to fix because I won't go through that right now.
Sorry, you misunderstand me. I meant that mine has the same behaviour as the person who said that their PW2 is behaving correctly, not the same as you're experiencing. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Outrager
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sorry, you misunderstand me. I meant that mine has the same behaviour as the person who said that their PW2 is behaving correctly, not the same as you're experiencing. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh okay.