Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
Screen Protector for PRS-505?

Hi,

I recently ordered a PRS-505 in silver and I'm very happy with it :-)

But: How do you protect your screens except with the cover?!

Does anybody use a screen protector like a film on PDAs??

thanks
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You honestly don't need a screen protector. The machine doesn't have a touch sensitive screen, so there's no stylus to scratch it. The screen is made of a very tough plastic, which is pretty resistant to scratches. All you'll get on it are a few fingerprints, which a "microfibre" cleaning cloth gets off beautifully.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
One fellow mentioned shrink wrapping his, and cutting holes for the power, etc. connections.

Some folks have used the Invisible Shield product to good effect (I use their product on my phone, but not my Reader). The only question I'd have with that is glare, and that's different levels of concern for different folks.

My experiences agree with Harry: I haven't really found necessary -- just keep pointy things away from it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've got an MEdge Leisure cover that has a clear plastic front cover that protects the screen and is especially useful at the gym, beach, boat etc. I use it on the treadmill and it's easy to read through and also turn pages, atc. Cost about $40. Available at www.buymedge.com
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Preserving Sony 505 screen

I keep my 505 in a plastic baggy all the time except when I am reading from it. I also use the original plastic sheet which came with it to store between the covers when I close them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
all this time I thought the screen was glass
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
all this time I thought the screen was glass
The "real" screen - the bit which actually displays the images - is indeed glass, and is rather delicate (this is what breaks if you drop your Reader!). On top of that is quite a thick layer of hard plastic - that's what you see on the outside.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I keep my 505 in a plastic baggy all the time except when I am reading from it. I also use the original plastic sheet which came with it to store between the covers when I close them.
I only keep my Reader in a plastic baggy (ziplocked with the air sucked out) when I read int he steamroom. Works great for that!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
thank you for your replies!

I think I'm gonna look for one of the m-edge jackets. Seems to be a good choice!
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #10
PDAToday
PDAToday began at the beginning.

Device: Nook and Sony 505
wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I only keep my Reader in a plastic baggy (ziplocked with the air sucked out) when I read int he steamroom. Works great for that!
A steam room as in the kind you would find at a Golds Gym? How is it holding up? I am surprised that it can survive in that harsh of an environment with only a zip lock baggie protecting it.

--bill
PDAToday is offline   Reply With Quote