Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Musing on preventing Upgrades

A thought just popped into my head....

Using the approach introduced by the fmon tool, it should be possible to prevent upgrades being installed to Kobo's. All that would be needed would be either a new customized version of fmon that watched for the creation / closing of the update files and then dropped them, or the use of the standard fmon with a script that gets invoked to drop the file.

Yes, updates would be still downloaded to the device, but, when the file(s) were closed, they would be deleted.

Thoughts?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Since fmon is usually started by on-animator.sh, and on-animator.sh started from rcS only after the update block is passed, one would have to start fmon another way.
It is easier, I think, to edit rcS to the effect, that it deletes the update files if it finds a KoboRoot.tgz, and runs the update script block, if it finds a xKoboRoot.tgz (in order to allow to install updates and applications using the update mechanism if one wishes).

Somehow related: I did a new version of my kobomenu and also of the sample application "start menu". It gives you the choice to select on start up, whether to install an update or to delete the update files. I will upload the new version after some more testing after the holidays.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're missing the point. Once the program IS running then the idea is that when ever upgrade.tgz is written too, created, closed (any file operation), the api in use by fmon is invoked,, so as long as this program has been launched, it would be monitoring for the upgrade files.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I am not sure whether my guess is correct, but here it goes:
While the reader is connected via usb, fmon does not see file opeations. So it cannot know that KoboRoot.tgz is beeing written to .kobo. The next file operation on KoboRoot.tgz. will happen after the next reboot, ...
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

You're right. I had forgotten the dismount that had happened on USB connection. But still this should prevent over the air upgrades happening.
Advert