Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Syncing multiple Kobo`s?

Hi

I have one Kobo now but I might end up getting both the mini and the Auro.

I have my own collection of pdfs, articles,scientific papers, pdf prints etc. So i probably wont be a heavy Kobo store user. My question is this. How can I sync all different Kobo devices in case I have multiple devices from them? I might move from device to device daily depending on the condition, travel situations etc.

I want to be able to keep readering where I left off on the other device, have my recent reads ad naturally all my books on all of them etc. But again I do not have much interest of online Kobo features since I maintained my own collection of bytes and bits over the years.

thanks
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
theonna
One
theonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melontheonna knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony, Kindle,Pocketbook, Nook...
I don't think that there is an easy flawless way to do it with your own content.
theonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Same here. Kobo, as does Sony for example, will synchronize what comes from the Kobo bookstore (and in this case I'm pretty sure it has to be kepub, not epub).
One of the reason will be the respect of privacy. Kobo won't know the content of your sideloaded documents.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There has been a discussion of Canadian Privacy Act (PIPEDA) in posts on another recent thread. Here is one of them: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=7
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you taming for the link.
I agree with all of that: my privacy is very important to me. I don't want a bookstore to know every book I read, on what page I put a bookmark or how many times I reread a book. No b&m bookstore is coming to my place to check my bookshelves and documents, so I'm glad Kobo's behaving the same way

But that's not helpful to those who want everything to be synchronized
Advert
Old 05-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I keep hoping that Kobo will figure out a way to let users give permission, if they want to, which would let this happen. With changes in PIPEDA underway, I am not holding my breath.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
So no books are ever synced between multiple Kobo readers on the same account? Not even books bought from the Kobo store?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So no books are ever synced between multiple Kobo readers on the same account? Not even books bought from the Kobo store?
The kepub versions of books purchased from Kobo are synced along with the current reading position, any bookmarks and shelves. Nothing about sideloaded books is synced.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Same here. Kobo, as does Sony for example, will synchronize what comes from the Kobo bookstore (and in this case I'm pretty sure it has to be kepub, not epub).
Epubs will sync if not side-loaded. Which only happens if there is an epub and no kepub available. I had a weird experience with this lately where I found epubs that kept synching back to my device. But you can't archive them for some odd reason...I guess only kepubs can be archived, so I couldn't keep them from redownloading until I took them out of my library on the kobo website.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Too bad they couldn't expand the functionality of the desktop software. Allow me to back up my stats, bookmarks etc etc etc to my own computer. Allow multiple users/devices and I could swap out libraries to my hearts content or transfer everything from one device to another, allowing my wife to use my Glow when I'm not traveling (She really hates reading with a small light at night on her Touch).
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Thank you taming for the link.
I agree with all of that: my privacy is very important to me. I don't want a bookstore to know every book I read, on what page I put a bookmark or how many times I reread a book. No b&m bookstore is coming to my place to check my bookshelves and documents, so I'm glad Kobo's behaving the same way

(
I agree on this one. I did not know that Kobo as a company respects such things and this is a great plus for me. Not that I have anything to hide, but that does not mean that I am ok to share everything I do with the rest of the world especially with the commercial entities. I had a bad experience with delivery/shipping with Kobo however if the respect to privacy is one of Kobo`s primary concerns then I would stick to Kobo from now own.

@taming
Thanks for the link, that was enlightening

As far as syncing goes, I would like to be able to sync without going through Kobo`s servers anyway. Syncing files is easy since one can just sync different devices as folders/directories (like using Syncback or other apps). But I am not sure about bookmarks, recent reads etc.
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Epubs will sync if not side-loaded. Which only happens if there is an epub and no kepub available. I had a weird experience with this lately where I found epubs that kept synching back to my device. But you can't archive them for some odd reason...I guess only kepubs can be archived, so I couldn't keep them from redownloading until I took them out of my library on the kobo website.
Wow, thank you for that. I didn't know that some books are not available as kepub, only as epub.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Wow, thank you for that. I didn't know that some books are not available as kepub, only as epub.
Here's one (free), if you're curious:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/A-Tal...1PHPNokzaA&r=2

I think I read a long time back on MR that this only happens when it is available as PDF. There will either be PDF and EPUB or EPUB and KEPUB, not PDF, EPUB and KEPUB.

Not sure why. Anyway, in that case, it synchs the epub, not the pdf.

But it sure confused me for awhile when I couldn't archive but also couldn't sync without it re-downloading after I had deleted it.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I keep my books on a micro SD card which I move between my Glo and Aura. A simple solution but with the downside that you have to remember what page you were on and go to it manually.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
At risk of being accused of trolling...

I am a recent Kobo Mini owner, after many years of Kindle ownership. Our family owns 5 Kindles, plus a number of Kindle apps on various devices. Amazon automatically syncs our current reading of Amazon-supplied books, plus, if we choose to upload others to our 'personal documents' page, they will be synced as well.

Privacy is not an issue. If we do not want non-Amazon books synced, we simply do not upload them.

This service works well, and I had assumed Kobo would provide a similar one. I like my Mini, but it seems it is destined not to have any siblings.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sync