Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
JBL irritation

When the batteries run low on my JBL, I change them out for the extra set I keep on hand. I insert the batteries (rechargeables) properly and replace the cover, then press the "on" button. And nothing happens. the first time this really alarmed me. I even tried the extra camera batteries (AAs) I had with me (I was on the bus), but they didn't work either -- three sets of dead batteries?!?! Argh!

But I know by now that the batteries aren't the problem, and the only way to wake the JBL back up is to hook it to my computer (at home or at work, doesn't matter, and I can use a spare mini usb cable, too). The computer recognizes the device (or at work it doesn't quite, but that doesn't matter), and the JBL comes on. It has "forgotten" what book I'm reading and where I was in that book, and it may not be able to see some of the books on my card... but at least it comes on and works properly -- especially after I check the card using Windows Explorer to see the books are there, then the JBL sees them, too... until the next time the batteries are too low.

I'll have to train myself to change out batteries when first warned they're getting low and when I'm at home. I'd hate to be lugging the thing on a long bus trip to the other side of town, only to find that I can't turn it on again even with fresh batteries. It almost makes me think of getting a different reader... but that would need juicing up from time to time as well, thus having the same basic problem.

Note that I've run out of battery power for my camera in the middle of Balloon Fiesta, but changing batteries in that makes it all better again. Maybe if Canon made ereaders...
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If you're using those lithium batteries, they tend to die out rather quickly (in a matter of an hour tell you the battery is empty).
If you use rechargeable batteries they run on a lower voltage, tend to run out of juice a bit sooner than lythium batteries, but their fall is not as sudden (the meter will tell you well before it's time to change them).

I have a 'similar' problem on my Jetbook mini, exchanging batteries resets the clock. I thought one user said (because the mini uses 4 AAA's) that one needs to exchange first one pair, and then the other, so to never run out of battery in the reader, but that seems incorrect too.

My only gripe about the mini (next to the slow FB2 loading time), is this; the exchange of batteries.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Two suggestions - 1. If convenient, plug the JBL to your PC's USB port while changing batteries and nothing will be lost. 2. After a change of batteries you need to hold the power button in LONGER, say 10 seconds until you see the display come on. You will get used to doing this after the first few times. One more tip, Sanyo Eneloops rechargeables hold their charge well and I recommend highly.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I usually do a slow 1 2 3 4 count, then release the on-off button. You do get used to how
quickly it comes on, when you are in a book, and can easily forget it takes longer after a
cold boot.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
NGrant and Ken, thanks for the ideas and info! Overnight I was thinking about it and realized I should try what I just now discovered you suggested, NGrant. Plug the JBL into the computer, make sure the JBL sees that and is on, then change out the batteries. Wait a few moments, tell the computer (running Windows XP at home) to release the device (computer sees it twice, once for the JBL's internal storage and once for the card I have in it), then see if the JBL remembers everything. I'll let you know.

Also, holding down the "on" button longer may be a good idea, Ken. I'll try that, too, if the above doesn't work or if I'm somewhere I can't use a computer.

ProDigit, as far as I know, the batteries aren't the problem (I use the NI-MH kind, called for by my recharger), but who knows? the JBL may be sensitive to something about them that causes it to swoon when I change the batteries.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert