Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks for the welcome

How cool life is with a new toy! My Sony reader is a week old and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading my daily downloads of NYTimes articles, a few of my many math PDFs (wish I could read them all, but I'm learning here about how I might), some great lit that I haven't read in decades, and even a new book. And what a great forum this is! Thanks to all contributors of info and content. I'll have to do my part as best I can. Afterall, it's all about content, content, content. Now that I've written that, I'm not sure if the accent should be on the first or second syllable.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Welcome to MobileRead and I'm glad you are enjoying your Sony Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Great to have you here with us. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Btw, what sort of math interest do you have? Education, work, hobby, ...?

Also, how are you getting the NYTimes articles? Is it working well for you?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bob, take a look at web2lrf (part of libprs500). There is a profile for the NYTime.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Great to have you here with us. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Btw, what sort of math interest do you have? Education, work, hobby, ...?

Also, how are you getting the NYTimes articles? Is it working well for you?
Well, life is even sweeter now! Pdflrf.exe has turned my Sony reader from pretty nice to almost terrific. I converted a 2000 page math pdf yesterday in about an hour on my slow PC. It didn't do a perfect job and it's far from seemless, but it is more than adequate for me. Some math pdfs I read are work related but most are personal curiosities and http:\\arxiv.org is a place I visit regularly. I've spent much of this weekend filling and organizing (well, that means the names and authors are correct; that's hardly organizing) my 2 Gb SD card with 200 books, articles, etc. I'm in heaven!

I copy and paste articles from NYTimes and other sites to rtf files and save them to a folder which I input and copy to my reader. There are more steps in that process than I would like, but I'm pretty comfortable with it now. Compared to carrying around printed newspapers, magazines, printed reports, and books, this is all just marvelous. I should check out more seemless ways of doing this step though.

Thanks to all of you have provided me with so much useful info, content, and utilities. You are terrific!

I have two other wants I'll be looking into soon: a rather small, affordable "map case" to carry my reader and some paper and pencils in; and a good way to scan old public domain books in a reasonably timely manner (i.e., less than the time to read them!).
Advert
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I have two other wants I'll be looking into soon: a rather small, affordable "map case" to carry my reader and some paper and pencils in; and a good way to scan old public domain books in a reasonably timely manner (i.e., less than the time to read them!).
I assume you are aware of Project Gutenberg, which has been doing precisely that, and may have some of what you want done already?

If not, go here: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

You also might wish to sign up for Distributed Proofreaders, which is the main feed of clean copy to be included in the Gutenberg archives.

Go here: http://www.pgdp.net/c/

As for scanning, it's labor intensive. What scanner do you have?

Welcome to MobileRead!
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 AM   #7
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Cute dog -- is it yours or a generic?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by europas_ice View Post
Cute dog -- is it yours or a generic?
Dog? Why that's me! Or rather, my dog is who I aspire to be like some day. Always happy, good-natured towards all, and satisified with a few treats, an occasional scratch behind the ear, and frequent car rides to the park.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I assume you are aware of Project Gutenberg, which has been doing precisely that, and may have some of what you want done already?

If not, go here: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

You also might wish to sign up for Distributed Proofreaders, which is the main feed of clean copy to be included in the Gutenberg archives.

Go here: http://www.pgdp.net/c/

As for scanning, it's labor intensive. What scanner do you have?

Welcome to MobileRead!
______
Dennis
Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of these. I have a small collection of 19th century science books that are not available from these or other sites. I'd like to try to make them so available. So I thought I'd scan them in. My biggest problem is the time involved. My HP 5400c and HP OCR software takes a minimum of about two minutes per page of pure text. I tested it on a chapter of clean, large type text and was thoroughly disappointed. Dealing with figures, tables, equations, etc. and correcting the OCR and I'm looking at too many long days to do a good job on, say, William Thomas Brande's "A Manual of Chemistry", 1828, which is 640 pages with lots of nontext. Somehow it just seems like it should go much more quickly than that and I'm wondering if there are hardware and software tools to do just that. Any good ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by vivaldirules; 09-05-2007 at 01:59 PM.