Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
soparch
Enthusiast
soparch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sequential numbers regex?

Hello,
I wondered if anyone out there could help me. I want to be able to mark some tags up with sequential numbers and I wondered if this was possible with regular expressions.
What I want is for example to replace say

<p> with <p id="1"> <p id="2"> and so on etc, etc

I know nothing about regex's so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
soparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Regular expressions cannot generate sequential numbers. With Emacs you would be able to do this.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
soparch
Enthusiast
soparch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the reply
But what is emacs?
soparch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by soparch View Post
Thanks for the reply
But what is emacs?
The most complicated, convoluted, worst text editor ever created.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Wink yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
One of the Software Guru supporting the DEC 2060 (that should date it )
did everything with EMACS: Write programs, send mail, make Pizza
Me I was lucky to save my file without introducing more errors
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by soparch View Post
Hello,
I wondered if anyone out there could help me. I want to be able to mark some tags up with sequential numbers and I wondered if this was possible with regular expressions.
What I want is for example to replace say

<p> with <p id="1"> <p id="2"> and so on etc, etc

I know nothing about regex's so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
In epp:
<p id="%MATCHN%">
Perhaps your editor has something similar.

An id should begin with an alpha character so the statement would be something like:
<p id="CH_%MATCHN%">

PS: Most Grep tools have a numbering cpability.

Last edited by crutledge; 10-10-2011 at 03:41 AM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
I thought this couldn't be true because every true description of Emacs has to match the regular expression “.*e.*m.*a.*c.*s.*”. But I checked it (with Emacs of course) and lo and behold, it matches. Ideally these letters should match at the beginning of words so it still falls short.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote