Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
bcswan
Edge User

Mathematics Graduate School

Hey all! I'm a Mathematician, more specifically, a Graph Theorist, although I do research in other fields as well, such as statistics.

Anyways here's some things the Edge is great for

1) Math Journals
You can download PDF files directly from journal web sights (with a subscription), and then read them on your Edge. Also, you can search references within 10 seconds instead of the possible days if you were reading the actually journal.

2) Drawing Graphs
With the shape maker tool, it takes a little bit, but you can make rough sketches of graphs, which is great for doing research. Sometimes, I would have about 100 pages of research papers strewn about my office, and finding the right one can be very difficult. Although it is much easier to draw on paper, it is doable with the edge. Also, the colors come into use as well.

3) Math Notes
Math notes are impossible to take with a keyboard. There's a lot of Greek letters summation signs subscripts superscript double superscript etc. There is a Math writing program (Latek), but it's for official designs, not for rough notes. Again, it's easier to write on paper an pencil, but then again your notes are filed and can be searched easily.

4) Homework
In graduate school so far, almost all of my homework assignments have been PDFs mailed to me by the professor. They will make a lot of assumptions about prior knowledge. (For example, they will state Maenger's Theorem or Tutte's Theorem without thinking that you may not remember what that is.) Well no fear, just search it up, and there it is. Plus, since the theorems are significant, you can save the page onto your edge so you can still get it even when you don't have wifi.

5) Class
I found that the Edge has not helped me as a teacher yet, but I'm still thinking about ways to use it. Maybe someone has a good idea? At my old school, every classroom had an "all in one" PC with a touchscreen and nice pen. It worked perfectly, and all notes were done on these screens and white/chalkboards were obsolete. I haven't gotten good enough with the edge to write on it like it's paper yet, (maybe because it's a pocket edge, not the big one). But if I do, it would be the best feature of the edge (for me at least.)