Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
tmusselman26
Edge User

Exclamation journal articles and coversion of full text html to ereader HELP

I have to admit I am getting frustrated. one week in and struggling. With journal articles. Tried to get pdf journals from pubmed central and school library. Neither would open. Also opened in fill text html in pubed and clicked to covert the page to the reader. It converted, showing pgs 1 - 54. When I went. To read it could only see pages 1, 53 & 54. All content was missing. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with the tech who told me it did not support what I needed.

How have any of you been able to get pdfs or full text journal articles without first downlowding on a pc to a flash drive then to the edge.

I too use blackboard and cannot use it with this.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Topenda
Edge User

Hi there,

Depending on how the databases you are accessing have set up their pdf handling - some like to make it hard by displaying it in the browser - but if not you should be able to download the pdf to the EE. The EE should just automatically download the pdf if you click on the file link (providing it's linked directly to the pdf and not some horrid frame arrangement).

Then your download window will show up with a list of downloaded files. From there you can long-press and either choose to open in your pdf viewer on the tablet side, or select Library and have it added to your library so you can open it on the reader side.

I'm not sure about your html full-text problem, as I haven't tried that yet, but it could be frames-related, and you *might* be able to get around by opening the link in a separate window in your browser. I do this on my pc when I don't want all the crap in the other frames saved/printed. Having said that, I've not had a lot of luck isolating individual frames this way on the EE - must be something to do with the way the android browsers handle frames, I'm guessing.

Good luck with it all, I understand your frustration - EE has so much potential for making life easier for academic use, but still has some limitations. Hopefully they'll get worked out in due course.

One thing I've done to make it a little easier to keep track of my readings lists is to copy the list from Blackboard to a word doc and then save as a pdf, which I use as a master list. I open the master list pdf in the EE reader, then browse to the readings (which I've already downloaded and added to the Library) in the Library, and attach them to the pdf master list, highlighting the title on the reader for the attachment point. Once saved, I can open the master list, tap directly on the desired reading's attachment icon and open the reading I need. Once I'm done with it, I reopen the master list, set the reader to annotate, and tick off the reading. So at a glance I can see what readings I need to do (and access them directly) and which ones I've already done. Hope that makes sense!

Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
lisa031825
Edge User

The HTML files are often a problem. This isn't something I have been able to solve on the EE but I can on my mac. If you open the file and hit print, on macs there is a little pdf button in the lower left corner, select that and you'll get the option to "print to pdf". It works on every problem file I have every had.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

@tmusselman26- Could you post one of the PDFs you're having trouble with? Maybe we could troubleshoot the file. I have had no problem opening journal articles from pubmed or other sources on the EE.