Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Souldor_MT
Souldor_MT began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy & iPad
IDCS5 + ePubs + Bullets = Frustrating

Greetings!

I'm experiencing some difficulty with my bulleted lists; I'm hoping one of you has the answer I need to get through this hurdle.

I use InDesign CS5 to create my ePubs. I use nothing but Paragraph and Character styles - no manual formatting whatsoever. When I look at my ePub across different platforms, the alignment of the bullets is skewed. All subsequent lines are aligned, the only problem is that they aren't aligned with the first line of the bullet.

A coworker steered me in the direction of hacking around in the CSS file to adjust it accordingly, which is what I was attempting to do for the greater part of Friday's afternoon.

This is what I finally ended up getting (I was trying to switch the 'em' to 'px' to see if I could get a better alignment going)

p.x-bullet-first-level- {
font-family: "Helvetica Neue LT Std";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
font-size: 0.83em;
line-height: 1.60em;
text-decoration: none;
font-variant: normal;
text-indent: -10px;
text-align: left;
color: #000000;
margin: 0px 0px 0px 20px;

This is how it looks like using Sigil as my ePub preview:

It looked like I figured it out! I was so excited. However, when I uploaded it on my iPad, iBooks gave me this:

And when I previewed this on my Samsung Galaxy S, it renders differently:

So, my question is: Am I missing something in the CSS? I'm not anywhere near an expert at coding, so it's possible I'm missing a really simple step in my CSS.

Does anyone have the same issues when they're doing this too? Can anyone help me solve my Bulleted Crisis?

Thank you very much for your time
Souldor_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldor_MT View Post
Greetings!

I'm experiencing some difficulty with my bulleted lists; I'm hoping one of you has the answer I need to get through this hurdle.
Does anyone have the same issues when they're doing this too? Can anyone help me solve my Bulleted Crisis?

Thank you very much for your time
Welcome to the World of EPUB browser differences

The 'nasty' line spacing, simply remove (comment out) the line-height line.
(the default is supposed to be 1)

As you discovered, not all readers support hanging indents.
Others seem to mung Unordered Lists
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Souldor_MT

So, what you're basically trying to say is that no matter how much effort I put into ePubs, there will never be a sure fire way to make all future readers view it the same way?

poop

It's not like it's the end of the world or anything, it just...I don't know...looks waaaaay less professional
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So, what you're basically trying to say is that no matter how much effort I put into ePubs, there will never be a sure fire way to make all future readers view it the same way?

poop

It's not like it's the end of the world or anything, it just...I don't know...looks waaaaay less professional
Sorry for being the messenger.

There are some workarounds (less than elegant code ) for some of these problems, Just look at the Known issues in ADE (sticky above).
Sometimes, you can compromise between what you wanted and what work on the most devices

You did the right thing: Tested your work on various programs
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Souldor_MT

I shall take a look at that.

If I can't get it working...I'm assuming my worst final outcome would be to have separate CSS files...one for iBooks, one for Android...etc. And Export my InDesign Doc with each CSS for each platform.
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I shall take a look at that.

If I can't get it working...I'm assuming my worst final outcome would be to have separate CSS files...one for iBooks, one for Android...etc. And Export my InDesign Doc with each CSS for each platform.
Can't answer that one , I have a EZReader Pocket Pro (ADE)
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Souldor_MT

No worries

By the way, thanks again for your help At least I know now that it's not just me and my limited knowledge, haha