Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
drinkwish
drinkwish began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Question where the source code of kindle stores?

due to the fact that I may have damaged my kt, i just wander where the kindle's source code stores? a rom made by recording media such as EEPROM or flash? Or anything else?
drinkwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
The Source code is not stored on the device. It's available online, there's a pinned post in this forum that has all the links.

However, you might be talking about something different. So: There are AFAIK the following stores in the Kindles (all of them):
- A few fuses, set only before shipping, with some very basic boot configuration
- Initial Boot ROM, not changeable, in the SoC
- an eMMC, i.e. a chip with memory that behaves just like a MMC device, which stores extended bootloader, boot configuration, kernel, root filesystem and document filesystem. It's flash memory.

Not sure if the SoC has a small EEPROM part.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
drinkwish
drinkwish began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
The Source code is not stored on the device. It's available online, there's a pinned post in this forum that has all the links.

However, you might be talking about something different. So: There are AFAIK the following stores in the Kindles (all of them):
- A few fuses, set only before shipping, with some very basic boot configuration
- an eMMC, i.e. a chip with memory that behaves just like a MMC device, which stores extended bootloader, boot configuration, kernel, root filesystem and document filesystem. It's flash memory.

i think i have referred to the initial boot rom...thanks a lot to confirm that it's unchangeable.
here comes my question:i have somehow damaged my kt, if it's boot rom is unchangeable, it would be still possible to recover it?
but how? i even found no way to communicate with my kt now!

Last edited by drinkwish; 04-21-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add more info
drinkwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkwish View Post
it would be still possible to recover it?
but how? i even found no way to communicate with my kt now!
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929.

You can access your Kindle by "fastboot" or "Select boot" depending how is bricked. All is described in thread above.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post

From what I read, the mmc first 1KB maps directly into CPU address space on power up, and that is one of the places the SoC looks for bootloader code, so that is the first user-configurable code that runs on the kindle at boot. No EEPROM on the kindle, AFAIK.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
See this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929.

You can access your Kindle by "fastboot" or "Select boot" depending how is bricked. All is described in thread above.
You might want to start by reading the "fastboot manifesto" thread.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
From what I read, the mmc first 1KB maps directly into CPU address space on power up, and that is one of the places the SoC looks for bootloader code, so that is the first user-configurable code that runs on the kindle at boot. No EEPROM on the kindle, AFAIK.
Yep, I think you're right there. Reading the "MCIMX31 and MCIMX31L Applications Processor Reference Manual" from Freescale, the SoC has a boot mode that maps the first 2kByte (!) to 0x0. It's not even a special feature of the eMMC, the SoC can do this for any SD/MMC (i.e. "boot floppy" capabilities :-) ).

Toggling the state of GPIO BOOT[0], it will boot from USB. So that's what triggers the USB bootloader mode.

The SoC hast both internal RAM (16kByte) and internal ROM (32kByte), which provides the bootcode and its scratch space. Section 2.1 of aforementioned manual is very instructive there.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote