Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
dietcokefan
dietcokefan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Kindle for Mac question

I just bought a Nook and needed a book that only Amazon had in electronic form. I have Kindle for Mac on my computer. Is there any way to get it onto my Nook or did I waste money buying the Nook? I've searched my computer and can't find the file for the book I downloaded from Amazon. Thanks for the help.
dietcokefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... just bought a Nook ...

Cool unit - you will enjoy it.

>> ... needed a book that only Amazon had in electronic form ...

Ooops ...

>> ... I have Kindle for Mac on my computer ...

That's Solution One.

>> ... Is there any way to get it onto my Nook ...

Probably not legally. But there are conversion programs out there - someone else better acquainted with this will reply!

>> ... did I waste money buying the Nook?

If your research today indicates that Amazon is going to be the sole provider of the titles you need, then, well ...

But if this is just a coincidence - then you will enjoy reading books on your Nook.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Your Kindle for Mac downloads live in Documents/My Kindle Content.

Unfortunately, unless you were lucky enough to have bought a DRM-free book, there is currently no known way for Kindle for Mac users to liberate and thereafter convert their books if need be. However, persons with access to a Windows computer are somewhat more privileged with their options in this regard.

You did not waste money on your nook. It's a perfectly nice reader that can buy from many online stores and read library ebooks, as well as the zillions of free books in PDF or ePub format, or which could be converted to such.

Although if the majority of the books you want are indeed sold by Amazon-only, I can see where you might feel a Kindle might have made a better purchase.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Apparently you can root and install 3rd party apps on Nook.

It might be fun to install Kindle4Android on a Nook - except that I think Nook is running Android 1.4 and Kindle4Android requires 1.6. Maybe in the future...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Do you have an iPhone? Does it have Kindle for iPhone on it? If you really want to read the Amazon book on your Nook, then there are ways to disinfect Amazon titles for iPhone users. Google and an apprentice named Alf are your friends.

But if you think you'll be buying the majority of your titles, and mostly from Amazon, the Nook is probably not the reader for you.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
dietcokefan
dietcokefan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for the replies, I figured out how to do it with one of my pc's. You should be able to do it on mac by changing some of the python script to point at K for Mac but I haven't had time to try. Thanks again.
dietcokefan is offline   Reply With Quote