Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2023, 04:10 PM   #1
RBEmerson1
Learning Curve Slave
RBEmerson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo Tab P11 Pro (2nd Gen)
MOBI's and MBP's?

If I understand things correctly, MBP files are essentially metadata files for MOBI's. For example, there can be a MobyDick.epub with the book, and MobyDick.mbp with annotations, illustrations, etc.

Does Calibre support them in any way?
RBEmerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
An MBP file is a user added content (annotations, notes, etc.) store. calibre does not support them though you could copy them to the Data directory in the book's directory in the calibre library.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 04:57 PM   #3
RBEmerson1
Learning Curve Slave

Thanks! Gotit. Calibre definitely wants no part of MBP's. Copying the existing files "manually" is no problem, though.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson1 View Post
Thanks! Gotit. Calibre definitely wants no part of MBP's. Copying the existing files "manually" is no problem, though.
Do you have an old Kindle that doesn't support KF8? If you don't, there's no reason for an obsolete format such as Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
An MBP file is a user added content (annotations, notes, etc.) store. calibre does not support them though you could copy them to the Data directory in the book's directory in the calibre library.
If there's only one MPB per book, why not add it to the book folder?

Calibre 'supports' all file types. Providing there's only one of each, they can be stored in the book folder. And via its Open With feature it can invoke external programs to process non ebook formats, e.g, view (listen), edit, convert, transcribe, etc. Most of the 'books' in my Media library have an ebook format, and/or a video format, and/or an audio format; some have multiples of each -- e.g. a TXT, and a DOCX, and a PDF, and an AVI, and an MP3, and a FLAC.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-17-2023 at 09:13 PM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2023, 05:50 PM   #6
RBEmerson1
Learning Curve Slave

The MOBI's are from collections that go way back, and aren't readily replaceable save, I guess, by doing a format conversion. ReadEra on my current Lenovo Tab P11 doesn't complain about them so, "it it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Old 12-17-2023, 08:59 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Calibre 'supports' all file types. Providing there's only one of each, they can be stored in the book folder. And via its Open With feature it can invoke external programs to process non ebook formats, e.g, view (listen), edit, convert, transcribe, etc. Most of the 'books' in my Media library have an ebook format, and/or a video format, and/or an audio format; some have multiples of each -- e.g. a TXT, and a DOCX, and a PDF, and an AVI, and an MP3, and a FLAC.
The last program I played with that could read/extract MBP files to a text file was 12 years ago and has been abandonware for over a decade. One friend of mine was trying to extract a couple of years worth of MBP files. Some of them worked, some gave decidedly odd results.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:16 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The last program…
I note you knowingly avoided answering my question Ψ³
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:56 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I note you knowingly avoided answering my question Ψ³

Uncaring about your suggestion? True. Knowingly avoiding your suggestion. No.

Your idea of adding the MBP file to calibre would not work with the program I played with. Not to mention that when I last tried running that program on Windows 10, it did not function.

In theory, I could go the MacOS/Linux route and run the Perl source. The Windows version required that the MBP files be placed in the same directory as the excutable and ancillary programs before running the executable so would require some batch file wizardry to convert and then add to calibre on the fly.

The other alternative would be to run the even more antique Mobipocket Reader or Mobipocket Desktop Reader for PC application. Do MobiPocket's applications even run under Windows 11? MacOS? Linux?
Old 12-18-2023, 05:58 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Just about runs on XP, inc XP in a VM on Linux. But I've no interest in it since switching to Calibre over a decade ago, so never tried it on WINE.
I doubt it was updated much since Amazon bought them in 2005 and probably not at all since 2007. My XP versions of Creator and Reader, which I think were last before Amazon removed the downloads, are © Amazon 2007, I so I doubt win10 is supported. It's also 32 bit.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-18-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 12:31 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

The program I was playing with was mobipocket notes file extractor which extracts the mbp's content to a text file.

I haven't touched the MobiPocket programs in 15 years or so.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-18-2023 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 07:26 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since getting this laptop, I've not had any Mobipocket program installed. I did on the other laptop but really didn't use it. I had mapped the calibre viewer to handle Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote