Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
Starayo
Starayo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Boyue T62+
Looking for an ereader that can easily manage a large library

Hello, hope some of you can help me, and thanks for reading my rambling request.

So, my first ever ereader was a kindle 3G and I loved it! It was wonderful, and collections were so easy to manage with calibre, just sorting them all into series. It was a golden age. I broke the screen twice, the first time Amazon just sent me a new one, the second time was out of warranty but they gave me a voucher to put towards a new one. I also recently replaced the screen myself, but I'm going to give that one to my mother.

Anyway, I got a paperwhite. Also nice to read with, though mine's backlight is a bit uneven if it's not on high brightness, and while it's a joy to read with it's an absolute bitch to get collections working right, in my opinion, and I have a huge library of ebooks. I wanted something a little easier to work with, that could read more formats without converting! Why not an android-based ereader, I thought. They can read anything if there's an app for it!

Enter the boyue T62+. I still haven't gotten it set up how I like it, and frankly it's been a bit of a headache to work with. Haven't read a thing since I got it.

So I put it to people a bit more knowledgeable about this than me - I'm looking for a new ereader to aim for. I'd want it to be at least 6", backlit, e-ink. The more formats it can read the better, though I'm no longer that concerned about it. My main concern, now, is that it's easy for me to manage collections or whatnot on the device. Ability to either make collections via calibre or something, or by being able to sort by metadata on the device. Author, series, that sort of thing. Especially series.

Oh, and to make things annoying, I'm in Australia, so preferably wherever I can find one will ship here. :P
Starayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, some people find calibre's plugboards feature to be an effective replacement for collections.
You can insert the series into the title, and then sort on that.

Regarding the Kindle -- even the new devices can have collections managed via calibre. The trick is that the device must be jailbroken (which can be challenging on the Paperwhites/Voyage/Oasis).
See the Kindle Collections plugin for more details.

Alternatively, you might wish to get one of the Kobo models. They have native support in calibre for managing collections (the collections database is easily accessible in the userstore).
Although the Kobo has a reputation for having slightly less reliable firmware than the Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starayo View Post
My main concern, now, is that it's easy for me to manage collections or whatnot on the device. Ability to either make collections via calibre or something, or by being able to sort by metadata on the device. Author, series, that sort of thing. Especially series.
I'd look at a Kobo device. Collections are very easy via Calibre if that's what you prefer. While there is no sort by series (there is author & title) the search works well for pulling up a series (provided you had that info in Calibre).

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Although the Kobo has a reputation for having slightly less reliable firmware than the Kindle.
Older Kobo firmware does, but AFAIK the more current firmwares don't have any big issues. At least none I've encountered.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
Starayo
Starayo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite, Boyue T62+
Whoops, got distracted with work and uni and forgot about this thread I posted, haha.

Kobo looks like the way to go then, I'll take a look at them and start saving. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Regarding the Kindle -- even the new devices can have collections managed via calibre. The trick is that the device must be jailbroken (which can be challenging on the Paperwhites/Voyage/Oasis).
See the Kindle Collections plugin for more details..
Yeah, I currently have that on my paperwhite but I've found it to be a bit unstable and doesn't always work right (sometimes just crashing altogether), leaves duplicates etc, not at all like on my old kindle 3G which was an absolute pleasure to sort via calibre. Hence why I started looking for alternatives. :P
Starayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #5
Emma Santiago
Emma Santiago began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am using amazon kindle and i am quite satisfy with it !!!!
Emma Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
johnjacobs
johnjacobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
You can try these
Amazon Kindle
Kobo Aura H20
Kobo Glo HD
Among these Amazon Kindle is the best option.
johnjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacobs View Post
You can try these
Amazon Kindle
Kobo Aura H20
Kobo Glo HD
Among these Amazon Kindle is the best option.

It should be mentioned that this is an opinion, by the way - not a fact. Opinions can respectfully differ.

I, too, share the poster's opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It should be mentioned that this is an opinion, by the way - not a fact. Opinions can respectfully differ.

I, too, share the poster's opinion.
The OP has already said that the Kindle's collections management does not meet their needs. Replying with "but Kindle is best!" doesn't seem really helpful, in that context?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The OP has already said that the Kindle's collections management does not meet their needs. Replying with "but Kindle is best!" doesn't seem really helpful, in that context?

Quite true: For the OP, managing collections on the paperwhite was "an absolute bitch to get collections working right" and, in fact, he's specifically looking for something easier to work with.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote