Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Book Review - Brookmyre - Quite Ugly one morning

Hey, Would this be the place for a book review? Had written it for my facebook blog sometime back. If people like it will write some more/post some more. Do let me know.

Ashwin

A typical hard bitten detective a la Micky Spillane, a dead ex-husband, a good looking ex-wife - is there too much more you can ask for from a typical potboiler?
But wait, this is not typical. Add a nice dose of dark humor, lesbian detectives, toilet humor and gruesome murders and you have a Jack Parlabane novel. It’s dark-funny and it has shitloads of shit, puke, turds and what not. Jack, our hero, is a good looking young journo who can get into houses at the drop of a hat and hang from his fingertips. Ah, but he has a history of people trying to kill him in LA (which self respecting journo doesn’t?) and hence makes his way back to jolly old Edinburgh.
A doc massacred (with nose bitten off and two fingers torn off in the nose - thats how gross it gets) in the house below him ends his first night hangover and he gets to work.
Not scintillating from a detection point of view, but it has its own readability - all in all maybe a 3.5/5
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I enjoyed 'Quite Ugly One Morning', I thought it was very funny and worth at least 4/5 from me.

There's an extract on Brookmyre's site, though you may want to reformat it (contains rude language ):

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/book1.htm

together with some sample of reviews. I chuckled over:

"Huffiest comment: "Deeply unpleasant and thoroughly nasty... the novel makes for somewhat tedious and disappointing reading." Allan Laing, The Herald"

Well done Brookmyre for including the less than sparkling critiques.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I enjoyed 'Quite Ugly One Morning', I thought it was very funny and worth at least 4/5 from me.

There's an extract on Brookmyre's site, though you may want to reformat it (contains rude language ):

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/book1.htm

together with some sample of reviews. I chuckled over:

"Huffiest comment: "Deeply unpleasant and thoroughly nasty... the novel makes for somewhat tedious and disappointing reading." Allan Laing, The Herald"

Well done Brookmyre for including the less than sparkling critiques.
ROTFL - I am definitely going to read the second one now
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brookmyre, crime, review