Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #1
pina
pina began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
10” ereader for comics and own books

I’m in for a new ereader, I have the Kobo Forma which I really like but I’m looking for a 10” ereader to read my comics better. The larger screen definiteliy helps…

What I need:

- I have many books and comics myself and I’m using calibre on my NAS to collect them. So i want to be able to use them or download them to my device. I don’t know whether it’s possible to keep track of my progress?

- An easy way to add books wirelessly to my device. Kobo Forma supports Dropbox, which is ok, but it could be better. If I could easily send a book to my device, it would be even better, like the send to kindle-feature kindle books

- I used Ultimate manga reader on my Kobo, though the app doesn’t get support anymore. Is there an equivalent on other ereaders to read/stream manga?

- I don’t really care for note taking…

I was looking for a Onyx Boox but I dont have experience with the android system on an ereader. I dont like android very much on mobile phones because of it’s unstable behaviour.

Last edited by pina; 04-09-2022 at 08:21 AM.
pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I don't really find my Boox devices unstable although there are bugs. Android readers have Tachiyomi for reading off manga sites. It works well for that purpose and is constantly updated.

There's nothing really great that I know of to PUSH a book onto a Boox device (outside of the Kindle app), and unfortunately I don't think there's a way to sync progress with Neoreader and Calibre over USB even. There may be some Android apps that support that though, none I can think of. Right now I use Calibre-web over top my Calibre database as a web frontend and I can access my library anywhere through Firefox and download it that way. I've pinned my Calibre-web on to the homescreen for quick access.

Calibre-web does have Kobo integration and you can replace syncing to the Kobo store to your Calibre-web instance. I don't have a Kobo anymore so I can't really comment but you may want to test that on your Forma and if that works how you'd like get an Elipsa.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #3
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
The one advantage of android would be the apps for manga and comics. I've been considering an android ereader for just that, though I have a number of android devices I already use for manga and comics but nothing with an eink screen.

Tachiyomi is probably the best manga reader around though in terms of the number of sources it supports. https://tachiyomi.org/
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx is the best bet. Or a Likebook. The Onyx reading app is good for comics. It opens .cbr and .cbz format.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:11 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
You haven't actually specified e-ink anywhere here. You'll get better bang for your buck, faster operation, and of course colour if you use a tablet for comics.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2022, 02:09 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
You haven't actually specified e-ink anywhere here.
Headline
Quote:
10” ereader for comics and own books
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:14 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm aware that some people use "ereader" to mean "e-ink only". However, "electronic reader" is an ambiguous enough term that I think it's worth bringing up the obvious advantages of a tablet when it comes to comics reading.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:21 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I think it's worth bringing up the obvious advantages of a tablet when it comes to comics reading.
Many comics are in shades of gray - color doesn't help at all.
In addition, tablets are not particularly useful for reading in bright surroundings.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:50 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
In addition, tablets are not particularly useful for reading in bright surroundings.
Most of those B&W/grey comics are actually Manga.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:05 AM   #10
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most of those B&W/grey comics are actually Manga.
Which are a type of comic.

Plenty of non-manga indie stuff are B&W too like The Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim. Some people like me also don't care about color.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:14 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Mate, I'm a comics & manga reader, I'm aware. Not sure why the pushback here. All options are worth considering, and I've spent enough time on "what should I get to read my comics on" threads here to know that a lot of people who start off thinking about eink change their minds to a tablet after knowing more/trialling devices.

Last edited by meeera; 04-11-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:57 AM   #12
pina

No need to have a fight about the meaning of ereader! I appreciate all your input but I indeed meant an e-ink device. Technically, the onyx boox is not an ereader but a tablet with an e-ink screen

So in meantime I purchased the onyx boox note air 2 for testing purposes. So far it's not bad. Android has it limitations since it's not customized for that e-ink screen. The UI of f.e. moonreader is not very clear because of the different shades of colors.

Just to answer my own questions:
- I have many books and comics myself and I’m using calibre on my NAS to collect them. So i want to be able to use them or download them to my device. I don’t know whether it’s possible to keep track of my progress?

For comics and manga's, I'm using Komga or Kavita (still testing both). Kavita can host text-based epubs as well. Komga can indirectly by converting them to PDF's. I know Calibre can do both, but the UI is really horrible that I don't want to work with it anymore.

Another better thing is about those 2 platforms is, that I can use their extensions in Tachiyomi. So I can both stream owned comics/manga's and from the web in 1 place. That's great.

- An easy way to add books wirelessly to my device. Kobo Forma supports Dropbox, which is ok, but it could be better. If I could easily send a book to my device, it would be even better, like the send to kindle-feature kindle books
Since I have a solution for image-based books, I think I will use Dropbox for this one. I could use my NAS to sync with dropbox. Although I added dropbox in my accounts in the Onyx Boox, I still have to find out how it will sync new content to my device

- I used Ultimate manga reader on my Kobo, though the app doesn’t get support anymore. Is there an equivalent on other ereaders to read/stream manga?

Like I said before and other people suggested, I found Tachiyomi to be a great solution

The only thing I still have to find out is whether there's a possibility to stream text-based epub novels instead of actually have to download them from my server. I also think that the device is too large for text only books. I'm also going to test an 7.8 inch device. Although my Forma is 8", on the android device, I could crop the comics to the edge of the screen, which makes the visible area a lot larger.

Last edited by pina; 04-15-2022 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:16 AM   #13
salamanderjuice
Guru

Wow didn't realize there was a Tachiyomi extension for Kavita. May need to switch from Calibre-web. Cool.

Also if you haven't noticed already Oynx does this stupid screen bleaching by default on every 3rd party app that destroys any way to see the UI so you have to fiddle with the app optimization bleach settings every time. I keep the app optimization button in the navigation ball to deal with this. Once you change it remembers for the app at least.

I've heard of some people using syncthing instead of Dropbox. I'm pretty sure you can specify a specific folder to sync instead of having to use an app.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #14
pina

Today I tried the Onyx Air Nova C and I could crop the comics to the edges. But on one way or another, the text is not as crisp as on the black/white e-ink screens. It feels more grainy and it looks a but interlaced like an old screen