Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-05-2023, 06:06 PM   #1
LuGar
LuGar began at the beginning.

Device: ninguno
Calibre stops at 47% conversion rate

Hello.
I have a Sony T1 which as you know has always given problems. I download books from eBiblio with Adobe Digital Edition, I run them through Calibre to install them on the Sd card (I can't do anything directly on the book).
I have two problems:
I convert epub to epub, but very often it stops at 47% for an indefinite time, that forces me to read it on the Pc.
Some books are unreadable because one letter appears on each screen, a book of 100 pages can be 3000 after conversion.

I am going to purchase a Kobo soon, but in the meantime, any suggestions?
Thanks
LuGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you by any chance buying fixed-layout ePub? If you are, don't do it as they don't work well and calibre does not convert from fixed-layout which could be why they don't convert or don't convert correctly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
LuGar

Fixed layout ePub?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
I just get the books from the public library, called eBiblio. I ignore what fixed-layout ePub are, so I also don't know what I would have to look out for to avoid them.

Regards.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGar View Post
. . .
I convert epub to epub, but very often it stops at 47% for an indefinite time, that forces me to read it on the Pc.
How long is 'indefinite'?

Conversion is a non linear stepwise process, they've been known to run for 24 hours or more - if its still using CPU cycles let it run.

The size of the book isn't necessarily a factor, a 170 page book with convoluted markup can take ten times as long to convert as a 700 page book with straightforward markup.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #5
LuGar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How long is 'indefinite'?

Conversion is a non linear stepwise process, they've been known to run for 24 hours or more - if its still using CPU cycles let it run.

The size of the book isn't necessarily a factor, a 170 page book with convoluted markup can take ten times as long to convert as a 700 page book with straightforward markup.

BR
Sometimes I have left them for more than 12 hours. If the book is not, in principle, very interesting I abandon the conversion. If the book is worth it, I buy it in physical format.
Advert