Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
wheel
wheel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
KT is displaying books in russian with ?????

Hello,
I bought KT a year ago for my wife to read books in russian (she has a lot).
It was working great, displaying properly any single book (in russian) for a couple of months until one of the Firmware upgrade (not exactly sure which one, probably around Christmas time or so).
From that time most of the books come up on the screen with ???? characters instead of Cyrillic letters, however some are still readable.
Most of the articles I googled saying that I need to modify font in .css and metadata files. They all related to others e-readers brand, nothing for Kobo Touch, but I assume steps should be similar.
If someone had the same issue, could you share how you got it fixed and what are exactly steps for it?
Thanks a lot in advance
wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel View Post
From that time most of the books come up on the screen with ???? characters instead of Cyrillic letters, however some are still readable.
As for the fact that some of the books are still readable, I guess, they have an embedded Cyrillic font, and the others do not. For those books that do display only ??? you could try and manually select one or the other of the built-in fonts. One of them should supports Cyrillic letters. Presumably, this font was preselected on your KT previously, and got unselected during a FW update. Or maybe the KT was able to auto-select suitable fonts previously, and lost this ability with an update. Anyway, if none of the built-in fonts supports Cyrillic letters, create a folder "fonts" and copy a suitable font into it. Then select this font manually.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
wheel

Thanks for quick reply tshering,
Could you be more specific where I can select manually built-in fonts?
Is it somewhere in KT settings or it's books profile?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They say it better than I could, so I quote from http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...eader%20Touch?

Quote:
Tap the middle of your page to bring up the reading menu.
Tap the Text icon.
Tap the dropdown menu beside Font Face to select from a list of available fonts.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
wheel

Awesome
I choose Georgia font face and it's readable
Now just need to find the way to set up it as default for all other books.
Thanks a lot tshering!
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel View Post
I choose Georgia font face and it's readable
Now just need to find the way to set up it as default for all other books.
If you select a font face for one book, it is set up for all books. Some might regard this as an advantage, some as a disadvantage. In your case it seems to be an advantage.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
wheel

That's right all books we have now on KT are readable
That was easy fix
thanks again