Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #1
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Sony PRS 950 vs Kindle DX

I wouldn't mind getting one these ereaders. A priority would be getting one at a good price (probably on ebay) and also being sure that the battery would be decent. I already have a bunch of books on calibre so having access to a store to purchase books online wouldn't be a concern. My PRS T1 has access to the kobo store however I'm not sure if a Sony PRS 950 would be able to update to the latest firmware to access the kobo store. So which one would be the better deal?
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far Sony PRS 950 is winning in the price category. Amazon has a used Sony available for $60 vs $300 for a Kindle DX. I'm surprised that Amazon wouldn't have the Kindle DX available for a much lower price, Considering the rapidly aging demographic of readers (along with failing eyesight),having a larger screen (with text to speech?) affordable e-reader available is a no brainer.
Advert
Old 05-10-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
The 950 is not upgradable to access Kobo. Only the T series will upgrade to the latest Sony firmware to access Kobo.

I have a 900, the 3G is useless, it only will go to the Sony store which doesn't exist anymore.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic

I read some online reviews on amazon concerning the Kindle DX saying that it will no longer wirelessly connect to the amazon account in order to purchase books. Don't know if that is true however since I plan on loading books via calibre it wouldn't be an issue for me either way.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I wouldn't buy either of these devices. There are far, far better 9.7" eInk devices available, should one have a need for such a thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #6
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I got my Kindle DXG used off of eBay in excellent quality. It was approx. 180 USD + other shipping costs (but I'm from Canada so it was an expensive price for me ). Battery is in remarkable condition, lasts fine with 3G turned off. Had some minor wear on the body but screen was perfect. I wasn't expecting brand-new quality for the price but boy it was really well kept.

There's a seller called savingmart4u or something that posts Kindle DX's from time to time, with great prices too. I got mine from them.

I love it so much. I don't even use my Kobo Aura H2O much anymore. I just love the gigantic screen. It has a Pearl ink screen so resolution is lower than the ones out there today. But it doesn't look blurry or bad to me, actually it's just fine. It does the job.

Screen flickers with every page turn. The PDF handling is iffy sometimes, it can't even read scanned PDFs that are image-heavy (IE: books from OpenLibrary). You have no font options besides size and justifying, and text-to-speech. The software is equivalent to the Kindle 2. There are some videos on YouTube I watched prior to buying that show you how it works. I never use the Web browser so I can't comment on that.

I don't buy any books from Amazon but I am able to go on the online store they have via the 3G network. It connects to my Amazon account just fine. I have downloaded previews and stuff with no problem (last time I did it was last month). I heard you can't register the device with Amazon if you factory reset and this is due to a glitch.

For me, reading books and certain PDFs on it is so easy on the eyes. I really really enjoy it. But it all comes down to whether or not you are willing to adapt to the older software and are not picky about screen resolution. Also, if you're ok with converting to file formats since Kindles don't take certain files.

It was a worthwhile purchase imo I'm not very picky. I put on custom screensavers and the DX renders them beautifully!!!!

PS: I am talking about the Graphite version. The older version has lower resolution, but I have never seen it in person so I wouldn't know.

Last edited by Amiieey; 05-12-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:11 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post

PS: I am talking about the Graphite version. The older version has lower resolution, but I have never seen it in person so I wouldn't know.
Looking at a wiki, they both have the same resolution, but have different generation eink panels.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx make 9.7 (and other sized) e-readers.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Looking at a wiki, they both have the same resolution, but have different generation eink panels.
Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure but I was guessing it was either that or lower resolution
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote