Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #1
brendanl79
brendanl79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage x2, Onyx BOOX Note 3
Request: Note3 stock recovery image

Trying to apply the latest firmware update to my Note3, but unfortunately I was hacking around on this device last year and in the process replaced the stock recovery with one from Renate, and it doesn't look like I saved a dump of the original anywhere (d'oh!!) So now I am stuck in a boot-to-recovery loop because this custom one doesn't know to apply the downloaded update.

Is there anyone out there who has used EDL to extract the stock partitions from a Note3, and has a recovery.img they can send me? I would be most grateful.
brendanl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
If you have my recovery you can just run the normal recovery from there.
Code:
# start recovery
Or you should be able to do the update with the USB flash too.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
brendanl79

Hi Renate,

Tried "start recovery" which led to a screen saying "send the package... with 'adb sideload filename'". I already have a decrypted update.zip so I tried that, and got an error message "adb: sideload connection failed: closed".

Now what?
Old 02-06-2023, 01:20 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanl79 View Post
Now what?
Put the decrypted file in the root of a USB stick as update.zip.
Reboot to recovery:
Code:
start autoupdate
Then plug the drive in when it says so.
(If it's not a Type C flash drive then you need an OTG adapter.)
Old 02-06-2023, 02:10 PM   #5
brendanl79

Thanks Renate!

I can't find the OTG stick I got from last time we were messing with this so I've just ordered one to arrive tomorrow and will try this when it arrives.
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 06:05 PM   #6
brendanl79

OK, I applied the update - I think successfully - but it's still booting to the recovery :-( whatever Onyx does to force recovery mode on next boot was not undone by the update script.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:45 PM   #7
brendanl79

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanl79 View Post
OK, I applied the update - I think successfully - but it's still booting to the recovery :-( whatever Onyx does to force recovery mode on next boot was not undone by the update script.
A-ha! Reviewed our chats from last year and realized that the boot-to-recovery flag consists of the text "boot-recovery" on the misc partition. Zeroed that out, adb rebooted, and I am booted to system with fresh firmware!

Thanks as always, Renate
Old 02-07-2023, 07:31 PM   #8
Renate
Wizard

I'm glad that it all worked out.
I'm working still on cleaning some stuff up.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
brendanl79

Still one lingering question: I've had no luck accessing the device in fastboot mode. I can't tell from our chat logs if I ever managed it last year. I can boot fastboot ok and the device shows up in usblog but the fastboot commands just can't see it. I want to re-root the device but if it requires prying it open to short the test points I probably won't bother unless/until I have another reason to do that.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #10
Renate
Wizard

No need. If your system is working, just
Code:
C:\>adb reboot edl
Or you can go back to my recovery and pull boot from there.

Also, to get out of recovery:
Code:
C:\>adb shell
# start recovery
Then select "reboot normally".

Edit: If your device shows up in fastboot mode, but the fastboot program can't find it it may be that you have loaded Zadig drivers instead of the Stock Android ones.
Go to Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and check the driver.
Is it "dw something (autogenerated)"? That's Zadig.
It works with my "fastbogus" (patched fastboot), but you'll need the stock driver for the stock fastboot.exe

Last edited by Renate; 02-07-2023 at 09:07 PM.