Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
Question Problems on Windows 10 (Insider) v. 14376

With the latest builds of Windows 10 (Insider) v. 14376, the OS has "broken" my Kobo's ability to connect... not just to Calibre... but to Windows at all. It has shanked the USB capability. (Logitech 9000 webcam same thing.) This is pretty nasty... I tried it on two different W10 PCs. So now I can't sideload. Anyone else?
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
I have yet to find a program that runs in W7 yet not 10.
Unfortunately, there are plugin/dlls that do not function because W10 plugged security model holes. Ironic, since one PI is for Configuring and Monitoring my ONVIF base Security Cameras
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
With the latest builds of Windows 10 (Insider) v. 14376, the OS has "broken" my Kobo's ability to connect... not just to Calibre... but to Windows at all. It has shanked the USB capability. (Logitech 9000 webcam same thing.) This is pretty nasty... I tried it on two different W10 PCs. So now I can't sideload. Anyone else?
The correct thing to do is to report the problem to Microsoft and get them to fix it. Your only other choices are to go back to the released version of Win10 or change to another OS.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Calibre has been running fine on my Win 10 Pro systems for many months.
About the drives: I put an SSD into my older laptop a few years ago, and although the speed is not apparent while using most programs, boot time for the computer was cut from two minutes to about 12 seconds. When I put them in my desktop computers, boot time was cut down to about the same 12-15 seconds, and also complex programs like Photoshop would fire up 10 times quicker. Finally, with a fairly large Calibre library, I noticed that when I moved my library to the SSD, Calibre loaded it much faster. I'm now a big fan of the SSD. Highly recommended.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
When you use a beta OS, you can sometimes expect problems. This is one of those problems with this version Win 10 beta. Your only option is to go back to the released version or wait until the problem is fixed. Calibre is not supported on a beta OS. So any issues with Calibre and the beta Win 10 will have to wait until either Microsoft fixes the problem or the OS is released and Calibre can then be fixed. But in this case, it seems to be an OS problem and not a Calibre problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am using Windows 10 insider and Calibre and I have not had issues with Calibre but I find windows 10 to be a crappy OS. The only reason I am still using it is so I save all of my books in calibre and remove DRM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am using Windows 10 insider and Calibre and I have not had issues with Calibre but I find windows 10 to be a crappy OS. The only reason I am still using it is so I save all of my books in calibre and remove DRM.
I like Windows 10. What is it you find crappy?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
@cvkemp - as well as running on Windows, calibre also runs on OSX and Linux natively, i.e. no need for Parallels, Wine etc. And a recently added export/import feature enables easier transfer between Operating/File Systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like Windows 10. What is it you find crappy?
in spades

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
"When you use a beta OS, you can sometimes expect problems."
Wrong. When you use a beta OS, you can always expect problems.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Beta versions are commonly referred to as: "Bleeding Edge" versions for a reason
Old 07-08-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
A line I saw in the Arch Linux forums that stuck with me:

Quote:
"Bleeding edge", not "bleeding flat". Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

In any event, this has nothing whatsoever to do with calibre. File a bugreport at Microsoft, and ask on the Windows support forums why Windows doesn't see your device.
Instead of asking on the calibre support forums why Windows doesn't see your device.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-08-2016 at 12:20 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:58 AM   #12
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
The first build that stopped Calibre from working has since been released to the general public; it is no longer a "beta". And frankly, I am surprised and disappointed that this board in particular is engorged with so many unhelpful and judgmental comments. What a shame.

You may recall my OP asked if "anyone else" was having this problem.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:14 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The first build that stopped Calibre from working has since been released to the general public;
According to this the release data for Anniversary Edition is August 2 - 18 days hence.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
The first build that stopped Calibre from working has since been released to the general public; it is no longer a "beta". And frankly, I am surprised and disappointed that this board in particular is engorged with so many unhelpful and judgmental comments. What a shame.

You may recall my OP asked if "anyone else" was having this problem.
And frankly, I am surprised that you posted this as a discussion in the calibre forums -- implying that calibre has anything to do with it one way or another.
When the real problem is that Windows isn't recognizing the device, so no applications will see it, not *just* calibre.

Again, ask on the Windows support forums or raise a bug report with Microsoft. They are far more likely to have an answer than we are.
Such is not unreasonable when running a beta OS.

Or at least, post it in the MobileRead subforum devoted to the Kobo Reader, since fellow Kobo owners might know why the Kobo isn't being registered by your beta OS. Or at least they might share your experience.
They might also suggest asking Microsoft about it, but they would at least be more supportive (since it affects them too), also they won't be snippy about your posting in a forum that has nothing to do with your problem.
Such is not unreasonable when having non-program-specific problems with a specific device.

tl;dr

We are only being judgmental because you are asking the wrong people for help.
And we are only being unhelpful because we have no help to offer.
Actually, scratch that -- we helpfully told you who might know more about the matter.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

eschwartz said it all.