Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Bless the crumb catcher

So, I had a pile of things on a high table. My Aura HD was on top of that pile. I was clumsy. The Aura HD flipped off the table, into the air, bounced off the tile floor and landed face down. I have a chip in the plastic frame (thinking that was the bounce), but no damage to the screen and it works just fine.

The HD has a rather deep bezel--bigger than the Glo, for sure. It made me wonder if the flat capacitive screen would have fared as well. I think the "crumb catcher" kept the screen from whacking the tile floor. It was at least a 4 foot drop.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yes that is possibly one drawback of the completely flat screen on the Aura. If you have it in a case, that'll help.... although, the new slim style cases are so minimalist, maybe not as much protection as you'd like. I doubt anyone will be willing to test it for us though.

Glad your Aura HD is ok, I did something similar with my Kindle Keyboard, it too bounced on a hard (kitchen) floor before landing face down. I was sure it'd be a goner but it was fine.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
So, I had a pile of things on a high table. My Aura HD was on top of that pile. I was clumsy. The Aura HD flipped off the table, into the air, bounced off the tile floor and landed face down.
reads like a scene from a horror movie
glad your baby is OK!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Yes that is possibly one drawback of the completely flat screen on the Aura. If you have it in a case, that'll help.... although, the new slim style cases are so minimalist, maybe not as much protection as you'd like. I doubt anyone will be willing to test it for us though.

Glad your Aura HD is ok, I did something similar with my Kindle Keyboard, it too bounced on a hard (kitchen) floor before landing face down. I was sure it'd be a goner but it was fine.
It might not be a problem do to the fact its plastic.(aura edge to edge screen) But who is willing to test that theory out eh?

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
It might not be a problem do to the fact its plastic.(aura edge to edge screen) But who is willing to test that theory out eh?

regards

Jack
It might not crack but plastic is easier to scratch. And this might damage the light diffusion layer.

@Taming, it might have fared worse depending on how clean your files are (not casting aspersions, just pointing out that a single gain of sand or pebble that a pet might have dragged in could potentially scratch the screen). But any case should remedy that.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
I can tell you that the Aura's screen is not strong enough to withstand my Hubby. He sat down and the screen now has a crack. Anyone know how to switch out the glass?
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
@Taming, it might have fared worse depending on how clean your files are (not casting aspersions,
Is there something you know about Taming's reading habits that I don't?

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is there something you know about Taming's reading habits that I don't?

Regards,
David
Erm, meant to say floors. Gosh darn it, I normally avoid the pitfalls of text prediction on the cell but sometimes it messes me up and I don't even notice
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Erm, meant to say floors. Gosh darn it, I normally avoid the pitfalls of text prediction on the cell but sometimes it messes me up and I don't even notice
Personally Its very much more funny with the word files...... has more of a punning effect.

REgards

Jack
Old 10-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My sense of humour appreciated the pun. Accidental puns are often the best.

Regards,
David

"A pun is the lowest form of humor—when you don't think of it first." - Oscar Levant
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My sense of humour appreciated the pun. Accidental puns are often the best.

Regards,
David

"A pun is the lowest form of humor—when you don't think of it first." - Oscar Levant
You know regardless, with out humor this world would be so hard to take at times especially the teenagers..... lol

regards

Jack