Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Trying to choose between an inexpensive backup device or an upgrade++

So my current device is the K3/Keyboard. Works fine. I have no real issues ... except "new device" itch.

However...I don't want the Amazon Voyage. The price moves it out of my comfort zone (under $150) for ereaders.

So, as for my ereader device preferences:
->6" screen is fine, no smaller
->eInk only
->I'm used to having, and like, physical page turn buttons...as those are becoming more rare, I will compromise on this point
->format irrelevant...calibre and alf are my friends
->reading material is primarily fiction, some nonfiction like biographies. does not include magazine or technical materials or cookbooks etc.
->front-lit not necessary...in fact I have concerns

I guess my first question is: is there a device that is not lit that has better contrast (blacker blacks, whiter whites/lighter background) than the K3?

Second question: Of the Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch (non-lit), and Kindle 4th gen black non-touch (K4BNT), which has the better screen in terms of contrast? And how do they compare to the K3?

I mention those 3 specifically because my WalMart has 2 of them available on clearance. (Kobo, new, for $79 and the Nook for $45) The K4BNT can still be had in a few places for $69 (though probably not for much longer). And of course, the K5 Basic at $79 with special offers is there too.

So those are kind of my choices if I choose to go with an inexpensive backup (though technically they would be considered upgrades to my K3).

Now...the other option is to pay a few $ more go for a front lit device. Though technically...I don't care about the light. I honestly have not wished even once for a front light on my K3. However, it seems like the front lit devices do have better contrast. Is this, generally speaking, correct?

It seems like I would be considering the PW2 or the Aura. Of these 2, can the light be turned completely 100% off? (It seems like I've seen conflicting statements to off vs. very very low.)

Can anyone link me to a comparison of the PW2 or Aura vs a K3?

Also, is it true that front lit devices have an additional layer on the screen? A "light diffusing" layer? How does this affect contrast?

Thanks to anyone who read thru all that. I'm a bit all over the place right now. I want a "new" device to play with...just not sure which way to go!
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:41 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
I guess my first question is: is there a device that is not lit that has better contrast (blacker blacks, whiter whites/lighter background) than the K3?

Second question: Of the Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch (non-lit), and Kindle 4th gen black non-touch (K4BNT), which has the better screen in terms of contrast? And how do they compare to the K3?
I don't have a Kobo Touch (they can be had for $50 refurbished from Kobo, BTW), but I do own the K4BNT and the NST. I used to own a Kindle 3, but I had too many eReaders and sold it. I haven't seen the higher contrast screens, and I don't like the front light -- at least not the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I could turn off the light but the screen was murkier than than the non-glowlight version. With the light on, I kept having the urge to monkey with the brightness setting -- it never felt comfortable.

That said, the best screen I've seen -- including the K3 I used to own -- is the K4BNT. It has slightly more contrast than the older K4SNT, and it's slightly clearer than the K3. Additionally, the screen's layout and font is identical to the K3, so you would already be used to it.

The Nook Simple Touch's screen is really close to the K4BNT in quality. It defaults to slightly thicker fonts, but the screen is sharp and clear, with good contrast. It also seems to have a better range of font sizes than the Kindles (any Kindle). And I prefer the wider bezel and the way they've designed the page turn buttons. At $45 for a new one, that's a good deal. Some folks don't like the interface (I switch back and forth between it and the Kindle without issue). They also complain about the memory partition -- I think only 500 Megs of the 2 GBs can be used for side-loaded books, but it does have an SDCard slot, so that issue is mostly moot. (On the newer Nook Glowlight there is no SDCard slot. I wouldn't -- personally -- want one of those.)

The other eReader I like is my Sony PRS-T2. It has page turn buttons, but relatively inconveniently placed at the lower left side. The screen is clear and sharp, however. And, like the Nook, it has a touchscreen. I wouldn't have any trouble using it as my only eReader if I had to, but I have a lot more experience with the NST and K4BNT. I also use a Kindle Touch, especially when reading books where translating phrases is needed. I've never liked the built-in fonts in the Kindle Touch. They seem too light for my taste. That problem has been partly alleviated by using a non-root hack that allows me to load a couple of my own fonts on it. But, for screen contrast (even with the font hack), I still think it takes a back seat to the K4BNT, NST and Sony T2, in that order.

Sorry to ramble. Good luck.

(I should mention, I don't know anything about the more expensive eReaders, which is why I didn't say anything about them.)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-25-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Additional comment
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 AM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much for the response! Since you had experience with the K3, NST, and K4BNT, your thoughts are exactly the type of input I was looking for!

I did go ahead and pick up the NST. It was in the same area as the clearance Kobo (locked cabinet) but the NST did not have a red tag on it...so I asked for the sales associate to scan it for me. As soon as he said $45 I said "I'll take it." Now, I haven't opened it yet but I need to decide whether to keep it or return it and order the K4BNT while I still can. (...Or get both! Which I certainly don't need...but if they both have excellent screens then I can be swayed!)

I know a lot of people like the front lit screens...and I have looked at them at Best Buy, etc. but something just bugs me about them...and now that I know they have light diffusing layers or whatever that is just another turn off to me.

The 500mb limit for sideloaded books on NST would not be a problem for me...I have a lot of books and stories so I connect up to my PC and keep around 75-100 at a time on my ereader...so 500mb is plenty as far as I'm concerned.

I remember looking at the T2 a year or so ago? It did indeed seem like a very nice device and having physical buttons was something I was looking for, but I don't remember why I ultimately bypassed it. Guess I just wasn't ready to move on from my K3. Even if I am now staying well behind the curve.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The NST is good for hacking and it means you can then install apps on it like Moon+ Reader and Kindle app, just Google Nook Simple Touch hack and there are loads of articles. If hacking your reader appeals to you, there's no contest, get the Nook.

However the main benefits of hacking are all just reading related (it does make it more tablet like but a slow black & white tablet!) and since you use Calibre & Apprentice Alf, hacking the Nook isn't really going to bring you huge benefits.

The K4BNT is smaller and lighter (I found the NST very square and chunky but some people like that), and will probably just seem a lighter, neater version of your K3.

Spending a little more to get one of the Sony's T2 won't make the screen contrast any better, it might feel a little faster though. Or you could wait and see what the new basic Kindle will be like, as it too will feel a little faster than the older NST and K4.

With the front-lit screens there is a little bit less clarity in good daylight conditions but it's evened out by the fact the latest models (PW2, Voyage & Kobo Aura H2O) have Carta e-ink giving slightly better contrast than the Pearl e-ink the rest use. And in anything other than sunlight/good daylight conditions, having the light is a clear benefit.

Some people just don't like the front-lit screens though, and feel it makes the screen a little hazy as if the text is behind a pane of glass, and if you think they might bug you, ignore all of the good points and stick to your non-lit ereader, its your choice and there is nothing wrong with it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
With the front-lit screens there is a little bit less clarity in good daylight conditions but it's evened out by the fact the latest models (PW2, Voyage & Kobo Aura H2O) have Carta e-ink giving slightly better contrast than the Pearl e-ink the rest use. And in anything other than sunlight/good daylight conditions, having the light is a clear benefit.

Some people just don't like the front-lit screens though, and feel it makes the screen a little hazy as if the text is behind a pane of glass, and if you think they might bug you, ignore all of the good points and stick to your non-lit ereader, its your choice and there is nothing wrong with it.
Thanks for responding. I suppose I ought to stop by Best Buy for another look at a PW2 and play with the brightness and evaluate how I think text looks. Will probably take my K3 in with me as a control. Of course the other option is to simply order one from Amazon and check it out at home for a week or two.

I'll probably end up keeping the NST to play with no matter what other choice I make. It was an unexpected find, especially since they've been gone for a little while now.
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
texasnightowl
Guru

In case anyone is really interested to know the final outcome, it is this:

Purchased a K4B at Staples (who matched Fry's price of $59.99)
Returned the NST to WalMart

So net outcome is that I have a K4B and my K3 is now backup.

I liked some things about the NST...I actually liked the size and wide bezel. And I did like the touch features. But...the K4B screen is just a touch better and that is what it comes down to for me. Also on the NST, I didn't like that it took so long to put it to sleep and a few times coming out of sleep, I couldn't turn pages until I exited the book and re-opened it. Not always, but more than once. And the screen was better than my K3. However sometimes the physical buttons seemed to take excessive force to press...though touching the screen always worked!

As for a PW2...it wasn't worth $40 to me right now to have a front lit screen. The K4B screen is better than my K3's screen so that is enough for now.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Purchased a K4B at Staples (who matched Fry's price of $59.99)
Returned the NST to WalMart
I feel sorry for the Nook Simple Touch, but I do think the K4B has the clearest screen I've seen on an eReader.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
texasnightowl
Guru

I did seriously consider keeping the poor NST, but since I don't plan any more purchases from B&N and since Alf is a friend and since I knew I'd be doing most reading on the new K4B and using my K3 only to download purchases from Amazon or as backup that the NST had to go back. I did feel a little bad about it though. But the problem I had several times with not being able to page forward after waking from sleep sealed the deal.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I did feel a little bad about it though. But the problem I had several times with not being able to page forward after waking from sleep sealed the deal.
Sorry to hear that. I've never had that issue with my Nooks. I'm currently nearly finished reading a Kindle book magically translated to a Nook book via Alf and Calibre. I'm trying to see if I can get used to a Glowlight (front light) -- and the answer seems to be "yes." Either something is different with this Glowlight than with my old one -- or my eyes are getting more tolerant somehow.