Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
tcc on iriver Story HD

Hi,

I copied geekmaster's tcc package into my iriver Story HD. I put it in SDFAT to make it safer.

I was able to compile and execute a simple "hello world" demo via telnet, inside the SHD.

I notices that are framebuffer files and devices "fb0" and "keyboard0".

Has anyone figured out how to use these?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can write stuff to fb0. The web browser uses this data to re-draw the background of webpages, so you can get it to show up on the screen indirectly while the web browser is running. Which is quite useless as you can just display a web page instead.

I haven't found a way yet to talk to the display more directly; there's this flow process which is always running and which manages everything; it decides when to go into standby / charging / usb storage mode, it handles the display, it starts all the other applications. The epub reader for example does not have direct use for keyboard or display, all it does is create files under direction of the flow process, and the flow process itself then displays the rendered pages.

You could replace the epub reader with another app but to do so you'd have to figure out the protocol that the epub reader and flow use to talk to each other. It's quite convoluted.

You could replace the flow process entirely I guess but you'd lose the entire functionality of the device by doing so. As that is what the flow process does.

I suggest you get a copy of strace onto the reader (the Debian arm one works fine), and then attach it to various processes. It'll give you a rough picture of what's happening inside all these processes the reader is running.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Thanks Frostschutz.

I am not a SW engineer so will not attempt to replace the epub reader or flow.

BTW, how can I write to fb0. Are there step-by-step instruction or programs that I can follow to experiement?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote